View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #4731
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Some of that comes from the right wing, but I think the cooler heads on the right understand that anyone-but-Cruz probably beats anyone-but-Trump if it came to an imaginary head-to-head vote. Cruz only received 14% of the Republicans' comparatively weak haul in New York on Tuesday. That's not a national candidate at this stage of the game.

There are still a lot of people who don't identify with a party. It's becoming a plurality. Those people aren't getting indignant about Kasich because Cruz isn't going to come across as a particularly ideal candidate. I know I'm hardly an average voter. I always vote in the general and I usually vote write-in for president. If not, Libertarian with reservations. Just in the vain hope that it becomes a regular party and can participate in the national debate. So with Hillary moving so far to the left and the ugly rhetoric that spews out of Sanders (as opposed to the ugly rhetoric that spews out of Trump - all populists need to invent monsters hiding underneath our beds), I'm more inclined than before to vote Republican.

But Cruz or Trump? No. Both parties have nominating processes that take the vote away from the people if they feel it's necessary. They did it for Obama in 2008, and people accepted it because Obama had the momentum and Clinton was willing to trade into the Secretary of State's office. If you dare express that narrative today, woe is you, but the actual numbers are easy to find and Obama's lead was smaller than the number of superdelegates (Hillary's lead among superdelegates in February - which was nothing like her lead in February of this year - would have been more than enough to swing it in the end). And the Republicans may feel they have to do it for somebody today because Cruz and Trump would lose badly and possibly take the House and the Senate with them.

If the Republicans do go to a pitching change, then who will the people accept? Obviously, Kasich is hardly beloved. He has ZERO wins outside of his home state. He still trails someone who dropped out a long time ago because, essentially, he accused Trump of having a small penis, then suddenly realized that wouldn't resonate with the voters. But who else? Do you have this 12-month process, one that received a record amount of attention - only to say, "sorry, you're all fired?" It still sounds like doomsville for the Republicans, but the 2016 election may be more about what we don't want than what we want.

Uh, Obama won more pledged delegates than Clinton and the superdelegates largely went with the winner of the most pledged delegates. How did that take the vote away from the people?