BYU 14
Coordinator

TV Show – Wrestling from Florida
Monday week 4 – January, 1983
Tampa, Florida
Attendance: 5,000 (sell out)
Rating: 0.42 (315,300 viewers)

Pre Show
We put on one of the fans favorite, In a decent pre-show match, Blackjack Mulligan won a battle royal in 15:53. The other members of the 'final four' were Black Bart, Bob Roop and Kareem Muhammad, with Black Bart being the final elimination. Black Bart accounted for the most eliminations over the course of the match, with Mulligan ducking a haymaker from Bart and back dropping him over the top rope for the victory.
Rating: C

Main Show
In a decent match, Magnum T.A. defeated Mike Davis in 9:01 by submission with a Figure Four Leglock after controlling the majority of the match, while making the female fans in the studio squeal with delight throughout.
Performance: Magnum TA C, Mike Davis D-
Rating: D+

A music video is shown detailing the antics of The Regulators (Sgt. Slaughter, Black Bart, Bobby Duncum and Ron Bass.) as Gordon Solie promotes an appearance on the show by Slaughter later and promises the audience we have "Not seen the last of their ongoing issues with one Blackjack Mulligan."

In a decent match, Kevin Sullivan defeated Denny Brown in 6:44 by pinfall with a Double Stomp after verbally and physically abusing the entire time. Sullivan appeared with dark circles painted under his eyes and shouted random references to the demise of Dusty Rhodes throughout the match as well. Performance: Sullivan B, Denny Brown E
Rating: D+

A furious Dusty Rhodes joins Gordon Solie as Sullivan stands entranced in the ring and goes off. "Dis close daddy!!!" Rhodes holds his fingers an inch apart "Dis close!!! The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes was on the verge of greatness, standing, if you weel, Gordon Solie, on the precipithhhhh, of the greatest honor in professional wrestlin!!! I had Ric Flair beat down, daddy!! Then…..Kevin Sullivan added his two cents, no pun intended if you weel. And it cost the American Dream the N-Dubya-A world heavyweight champeenship!!! Kevin Sullivan, when the Devil comes callin this time, his name is Dusty Rhodes!!"
Rating: B-

Rhodes starts walking slowly to the ring, when Don Muraco appears and steps between him and Sullivan, who coyly heads back to the locker room. The American Dream and Muraco start to jaw and push each with Rhodes inviting Muraco to join him in the ring! Eddie Graham appears and lets the audience know that Rhodes and Muraco will meet in the main event.

In a bout that had fantastic heat and good wrestling, Sgt. Slaughter defeated Mike Rotundo in 10:07 by submission with a Cobra Clutch, though Rotundo put up a good fight, angering the good sergeant, which earned him a post match lashing with Slaughter’s riding crop.
Performance: Slaughter C+, Rotundo C

After the match Sgt. Slaughter grabs a microphone and addresses the crowd, as well as the CFW locker room. "All you slack jawed, narrow shouldered, maggots listen up…..that means you snap to attention!!" The crowd starts a small Gomer Pyle chant as Slaughter turns purple and holds his newly won Southern Heavyweight Title up "Shut up you slimy dirt balls!!! You respect and salute me because this belt is only the beginning, I will conquer and control every belt in CFW because I fear no man and I dare any man to put up their title, or titles against me!!!"

On cue, Barry Windham and Mike Graham appear with the CFW Tag Team Titles as Windham grabs a microphone. "You said Titles?? These fans have one thing right Slaughter, you are Gomer Pyle because you are dumb enough to think you took my Southern Title fair and square yesterday at the Superbowl of wrestling, and even dumber to think you can take these belts all by yourself…." Before Windham can finish, Bobby Duncam and Ron Bass come flying out and lay him and Graham to waste as Slaughter joins in the fun. Before the beating can get too severe, Blackjack Mulligan and Bob Roop come out and clean house, making the save.
Rating: C-

In an exceptional match, Dusty Rhodes defeated Don Muraco in 15:37 by disqualification after Kevin Sullivan interjected himself into what was becoming a very compelling battle. After the DQ Muraco held Rhodes as Sullivan breaks a bottle over his head, leaving The American Dream bleeding in the ring as the bell rings furiously trying to summon help from the back.
Performance: Muraco B-, Rhodes A
Rating: B

Show Rating: B- (lost popularity in the Southeast, gained popularity in the Midwest)
Notes from the Booker:
  • Blackjack Mulligan’s performance in the Battle Royal really stood out, Elijah Akeem sustained a retracted index finger in the match
  • Mike Davis was really off his game in his match the Magnum TA
  • Sullivan looked excellent in his match with Brown
  • Rhodes was magic on the stick as he usually is, having the crowd in the palm of chubby hand
  • Slaughter was off his game in the match with Rotundo
  • Bobby Duncam and Blackjack Mulligan were the starts of Windham/Graham beat down segment
  • The Muraco / Rhodes match got the crowd buzzing

Behind the Curtain:
  • The boys play nice as I have no pre-show incidents for the first time in…Forever!! Backstage morale rating is still down to 55% though and this continues to be a problem
  • Prior to the broadcast I upgrade all production values to match the highest of any competing feds as we are making money and afford the added expense at this time. I also boost merchandise to optimistic and above average quality.
  • I need to get exposure and waiting almost two years for the Sportschannel America deal for the TV show will kill me, so I sign a deal with KPLR TV to televise the show in the Mid West, then go back to Sportschannel America and make a deal to televise our monthly events for 9 months, which at least gets those out to 5 markets. Just don’t know how wise it will be with no TV buildup in three of those markets, we will see
  • Elijah Akeem’s (Leroy Brown) injury is not that bad and he can work through it
  • Bugsy McGraw needs some time off due to a brutal schedule as his few minutes largely standing around in the Battle Royal seemed to have taxed him.
  • I will now start to build to our big February show, ‘Valentines Vendetta’ which I will look to build around the Rhodes / Sullivan feud, as well as bring in a big name from the NWA alliance for a one off against one of our Champions.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote