View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #774
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Swim with Dad – RESULTS

It’s been so long since I’ve seen the kids race I was really looking forward to this meet. The illnesses running around the house really lowered my expectations, but I was still excited. Unfortunately, things didn’t go according to plan...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

On Friday afternoon, Bailey went from – starving and begging the wife to stop and get something to eat on the way to meet a friend at the mall - to – throwing up. This transition was about 20 minutes apart. Obviously, she didn’t swim at the meet, but thankfully the illness apparently didn’t impact her as bad as it did the boys. She returned to practice Monday (6/13), but had a relapse of symptoms that night. She missed practice Tuesday morning, but hopefully, that will be the end of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

After having a couple of days without incident, Bear returned to the pool on Friday (6/10). However, despite his best efforts he was only able to swim 1000 meters before he gave out of gas. With this showing, the coach and we determined it was in Bear’s best interest to just rest through the weekend. Which turned out to be wise as he had a relapse of symptoms (similar to Brett’s relapse) that same evening. He did swim a little on Sunday (~900 meters) and he returned to practice Monday (6/13) morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brettnot a great meet for Brett, but given his limited practice time while recovering it wasn’t as bad as I expected, and the coach told him he thought he did pretty well overall.

# 3 (d1/s1): B 13 & Over 200 Medley (2:47.84L ) – Brett’s fly looked significantly better, but overall he could only manage a time of 2:57.28. While this 10 seconds is poor, under the circumstances and after researching his swimming last Summer and finding out last year about this time he only managed 2:52… it really doesn’t seem that far off.

# 15 (d1/s1): B 13 & Over 100 Breast (1:27.36L ) – started out pretty good and kept it reasonably close to his personal best 1:30.17. Coach said he was about 3/4s of the way back with his stroke after this race. Biggest issue is making the stroke repeatable every time.

# 18 (d1/s1): B 13 & Over 200 Back (2:48.93L ) – Way to deliberate for my taste, and he ended up adding 9 seconds - 2:57.28

# 21 (d1/s1): B 13 & Over 400 Free (5:28.07L ) – Never challenged himself. I’m pretty sure he was concerned about being able to finish – so he was too conservative. Managed a 5:38.16

# 43 (d2/s3): B 13 & Over 200 Free (2:26.94L ) – Second day, Brett definitely seemed to push a bit more. Maybe he had more confidence after making it through the first day. Opened with a 2:35.05, which seems disappointing compared to his seed time, but again I looked up last year at this meet and he swam a 2:32. So only 3 seconds after being sick, not too shabby.

# 52 (d2/s3): B Open 100 Back (1:24.42L ) – Definitely went out harder in this back race. Form was a bit sloppy, and he has a lot of little items to clean up, but he almost popped a personal best 1:24.61

# 55 (d2/s3): B 13 & Over 200 Breast (3:08.53L ) – started out really well…posting a 1:32.31 to open. Which was only 1 second behind a teammate that has been just slightly faster than Brett recently. Unfortunately, in the back half he ran out of steam and he limped home in a 1:40.09 to finish at 3:12.40. To give a reference point, Chris (the teammate mentioned above), went 1:31 front and 1:35 low, for a 3:06. Had Brett stayed on his pace in the second 100, he’d have been close to a personal best. Hopefully, improved stamina will allow him to do that soon.

# 64 (d2/s3): B 13 & Over 400 Medley (6:06.58L ) – The fly leg looked great early. For about the first 30 meters is was better than he had ever done…then his stroke started to come about little by little. Even with this the first 50 was solid, the second 50 was ugly, but he still managed to go 1:36.31, which is a personal best 100 fly – a good 2 seconds better than the 100 fly he swam to open a 400 IM last year at this time. The effort associated with that leg, really took its toll, and he struggled the rest of the race. He finished in 6:16.61 – which is honestly better than I thought he’d do. I was expecting something around 6:20…figuring the lack of stamina would eat him up.

Last edited by Breeze : 06-18-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote