View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #438
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGa
They really don't seem to be parts of your empire, more like ... tributary states, or something. Not quite vassals even.

There's more control with sectors than with vassals in any game I ever played. I get the point you are making, I just think you are overstating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
1. Minimize the need to micromanage. But...you're playing a Paradox game. Kinda what you sign up for.

I don't think micromanage = Paradox Game. In many ways its the opposite. Matrix Game? Sure. But there's a reason why Paradox games don't have tactical combat. They shine(or don't, but it's where the focus is) on the grand strategic level. In a standard galaxy, to 'win', you need a minority of all planets which is over 200 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
2. Hamper the player by forcing the AI on them to goober things up.

I think this is part of the purpose and it's an important element that should be present in all large-scale strategy games. No AI will ever be as good as a competent player, as previously talked about.

There's plenty of stuff to complain about. I think more macro tools as the game goes on are needed. Rally points and fleet/ground force templates to streamline construction, ability to designate an entire area of space to survey instead of doing it system-by-system when you've explored hundreds of them, technological advancement is too linear, more differentiation between races, leader system could be more developed, etc. But I think the level of control you have in sectors is roughly appropriate. Spaceports/fleet/army construction is still under your control, taxes, focus for development, etc. Management of the many is different from management of the few, and I think Stellaris should have more features that reflect that, not less. In other words, I think it's a great design choice, among others that in some cases are not.

Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote