View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #473
Edward64
Head Coach

In a way, I almost prefer Gingrich to be VP candidate. Otherwise he might end up as Homeland Security director.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/politi...iew/index.html
Quote:
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich on Thursday called for the U.S. to test every person with a Muslim background to see if they believe in Sharia law, and deport those who do.

"Let me be as blunt and direct as I can be. Western civilization is in a war. We should frankly test every person here who is of a Muslim background, and if they believe in Sharia, they should be deported," Gingrich said in an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity. "Sharia is incompatible with Western civilization. Modern Muslims who have given up Sharia, glad to have them as citizens. Perfectly happy to have them next door."
:
"How do we ascertain -- how do you possibly ascertain whether or not that person really wants assimilation, really wants a new life, or whether or not they want to expand that caliphate, which is what we're at war against?" Hannity asked.

"The first step is you have to ask them the questions," Gingrich responded. "The second step is you have to monitor what they're doing on the Internet. The third step is, let me be very clear, you have to monitor the mosques. I mean, if you're not prepared to monitor the mosques, this whole thing is a joke. Where do you think the primary source of recruitment is? Where do you think the primary place of indoctrination is? You've got to look at the madrassas -- if you're a school which is teaching Sharia, you want to expel it from the country."

The comments by Gingrich -- who was a finalist to be Donald Trump's running mate before the real estate mogul tapped Indiana Gov. Mike Pence on Thursday -- are similar to ones made by Trump himself last fall, when he called for surveillance of "certain mosques" to counter terrorist threats.
Gingrich also said Thursday that calling Islam a "religion of peace" is "bologna."

"It's not that Islamists are necessarily evil, but they're not necessarily a religion of peace," Gingrich said.

I don't disagree about "is in a war" and monitoring mosques but testing *everyone* of Muslim background doesn't sit well with me. It's not practical and doubtful how effective it will be.

However, it looks as if parents/siblings of people who commit terror get a free pass (e.g. they say very sorry, go into hiding and are not heard from again). In my emotional state right now, I would find that Tunisian guy's family and kick them the hell out of the country.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-15-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote