View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #786
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia Long Course Age Group State Championships – RESULTS – DAY 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

#2 Boys 13-14 1500 LC Meter Freestyle – 18:37.89 : 19/15 – Bear really set some low expectation coming into this event. He was initially only concerned with breaking 18 minutes. The coach felt that was a little too easy so he gave him splits to try and swim 15 seconds faster than that, hoping that he’d kick it in on the back half and potentially get into the 17:37 or 17:35 range. Bear started out ok, for the first 200, then started to slip, which prompted a signal – which he responded too. Unfortunately, because it is long course and signaling is much less frequent combined with the fact my signals are based off of a spit that is a full 50 meters old he was often off pace for a full 150 at times before I could let him know. He was never terribly off pace, so these periods didn’t kill his time. He was able to battle through, but he didn’t have his typical back half charge in him. He did report his shoulder started to hurt a bit which made it difficult (thankfully, this didn’t occur again throughout the meet). All in all, he basically hit the mark the coach wanted clocking in with a time of 17:45.75. An impressive drop of 52 seconds. However, he was pleased but not thrilled with the result. His buddy Tommy beat him, and several of the kids he competes with for medals in short course beat him by 15 to 30 seconds. However, this happened last year as well, so I’m not sure there is anything to be concerned about. Ultimately, he finished 13th overall.

Last edited by Breeze : 07-18-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote