View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #787
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia Long Course Age Group State Championships – RESULTS - DAY 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

#15 Girls 13-14 100 LC Meter Butterfly – 1:11.00 : 36/26 – As expected she improved, and her walls were better, even though they still need some work, and she needs to stop breathing off the wall. She couldn’t get her 1:08s…but she did get 1:09.73, which is a personal best and a drop of 1.27 seconds. She also moved up to 31st overall in this event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

#8 Boys 13-14 200 LC Meter Freestyle – (2:14.80) : 44/24 – The drop was about what I expected it would be…he went out in a 1:02.8 and came home in a 1:09.00…the back half wasn’t as good as I was expecting given his propensity to really charge at the end. But regardless the time was a 2:11.80 which is exactly a 3 second drop.

#24 Boys 13-14 400 LC Meter IM – (5:28.62) : 50/26 – Bear really wanted to improve in this one. He was disappointed in his time coming in and he said before the start of this race he wanted to win his heat. Well the heat started and despite the fact that all swimmers in the heat came in with short course conversions, the fly leg was fast. Bear was fourth after the fly leg, but he swam his fly great. How well? His split was a 1:09.31 – his personal best in 100 fly long course was a 1:10.78…around a 1.5 second drop with 300 more meters to swim. In the back he passed everyone to take the lead with a 1:19.93 split (in hindsight he said he needs to have a better back split). Then came the breast, and I was expecting his typical stall, but as I prepared to watch the field reel him in and pass him, I realized that wasn’t going to happen. He was more than holding his own. In fact, only 2 swmmers in his heat had a faster split and 1 was well back and a non-factor. He split a 1:32.18. When he got to the wall, he was in a tight race to win his heat. But once the free leg started there was no doubt who was going to win. Bear charged home in a 1:07.01 opening a huge lead on the field. Overall his time was 5:08.43, a drop of over 20 seconds. My assumption that anything over a few seconds would be asking a lot was obviously wrong. With this swim he climbed all the way to 18th overall.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote