View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #588
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
If this general election had been, say, Jim Webb and Marco Rubio - I'm admittedly spitballing here but the most conservative Democrat (former SecNav under Reagan) in the race versus the most moderate Republican IMO - do you think personalities or positions would be allegedly in play more than party affiliation? Honest question.

Oh, it's a fair question. Insert any "most conservative D" and any "most liberal R" names anybody wants, it's a decent hypothetical.

And in that scenario I'm sure the (?) makes the difference. Probably even determines the outcome.

I think I was more looking at it from the standpoint of where we are today, given the actual sequence of events & whatnot.

I just don't recall any time in 30-40 years that the (?) has meant less, probably for either party. I don't get a sense of the "Republican Revolution" era big switch that happened though -- as that's the closest time I can think of off-hand -- I get more of a sense of "f*** the party".

I just don't think that ... cachet ... ever comes back for either party after this cycle. It might attach to a new party(s) at some point, but not the ones we have currently.