View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #589
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Trump: All Press is Good Press, he tweeted. Yeah try to sell it Donald, I'm not buying.

You may not be buying it, but significant portions of the country are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That makes it sound like Trump doesn't want to do the boring Presidential stuff and just wants to enjoy the celebrity aspect of it. Not that surprising I guess.

I'm pretty convinced he entered the race as a money-making exercise (which is not uncommon: run for a while, raise your profile, turn that profile into dollars through being a paid commentator, going on the speaking circuit, etc...), and winning the nomination just kind of happened (based on a large number of factors coming together at once). This isn't to say that he doesn't want to be President at this point, but that he's going to approach the commitments of being President significantly differently from traditional politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
If evidence was ever found of a transaction between the Clinton and Trump camps suggesting he was paid to run for President to ensure she was elected, would that be the biggest political scandal ever? It sounds like a movie.

No conspiracy that big ever really stays secret. Plus how much money would it take to a) make it happen and b) have people keep their mouths shut? Probably a significant chunk of what it would take to simply run a campaign for President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
On the other hand, if you're Republican leadership, having just quashed rebellion efforts in the convention, if a story like that DID break, that's the end, right?

I think the opposite. Were that to happen it immediately discredits Trump and puts the GOP Establishment back into control. Honestly, something like this happening is the best possible outcome for the GOP Establishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But seriously, what exactly is supposed to happen there? Is a party supposed to abandon any/all principles simply to be most appealing to potential voters? Is there never supposed to be anything that matters more than simply getting elected?

If those principles are held by an ever-decreasingly portion of the populace then yes, they must abandon them (or, less dramatically, evolve them) or they'll simply become irrelevant.

I think that's the part you miss. GOP policy is stuck in the 1950s. We're getting further and further away from those days every passing moment.

Now, like I said, I think there's an opportunity for the GOP to evolve itself while still remaining true to the concept of conservatism, and I think it would attract a lot of people, but their current focus on a lot of black-and-white issues puts them on the wrong side of demographics and history.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote