View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #37
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
No, kids generally do not collect today. What few that do, it's all about finding the lottery cards and throwing the rest away. I was at the National Card Convention last year in Baltimore and of the tens of thousands of attendees during the 5 days, almost no kids on the floor except those dragged by their boomer father. The autograph lines had a lot of kids but not at the tables.

My son is 12 now and has been collecting for a few years.

For him, the base cards mean nothing. I don't even think he reads the backs.

It's all about the limited cards. Auto cards. Jersey cards.

When we go to sports card shows, people usually give us stacks of base cards from pulls. Last year it was Connor McDavid Young Guns card that everybody was trying to find and it was going for $250 on the show floor. I bet we were given 1,000 cards that day because nobody cared about those.

Two years ago he had saved up $225, and I think he came home with 23 autographed cards. He got a Pavel Datsyuk auto and a Drew Doughty jersey/auto card among many others.

The coolest thing is that a few weeks ago after ball hockey, we heard some rumblings and ended up seeing Connor McDavid playing in a men's league with some of his old NCAA / Junior friends. He signed my son's hat and took a picture with him after the game, it was really cool.

Being in Toronto, it's all been hockey cards, but he's starting to get into basketball and baseball big time, so I think the upcoming November show he will be getting a different mix of product.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote