View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #3670
molson
General Manager

I really like both McGregor and Diaz. But I'd like McGregor more if we saw more of his post-fight personna - still cocky, but also insightful and respectful. Diaz' wackiness comes across as more legit, but McGregor comes off as really phony to me when he crosses a certain line of obnoxiousness. I guess we have to do the third fight now, but I'd much rather see McGregor fight for titles and take on challengers.

That was a great fight, but I hope McGregor is done at Welterweight. He is not an elite fighter there. His power isn't the same. At Featherweight he was just killing everyone. But he did look a little emaciated and sickly there - maybe Lightweight is the right compromise, with the occasional catch-weight super-fight as they came up. McGregor can beat Eddie Alvarez, and then you'd have the pick of challengers between Featherweight and Welterweight competing for a McGregor payday. McGregor is too big a star to be chasing guys around to different weight classes, he should camp out at Lightweight and let others chase him there.

Rumble Johnson is so awesome. The last Cormier fight was really entertaining and that's one rematch I definitely want to see. My fear is that Jon Jones gets some bullshit reduced tainted supplement suspension and they'll put the division on hold waiting for him. I'd much rather see Rumble/Cormier, maybe at MSG, and then Jones can take his turn after that if his lawyers are good enough to get him back. If they wait for Jones, Cormier might end up going 1.5+ years without defending his title. (Edit: To Cormier's credit, he tweeted that he's fighting Rumble next no matter what, even if Jones is cleared. It might not be 100% up to him though.).

This was the first show under the new UFC ownership. I guess we're not going to see any noticeable changes, at least at first. I did like how on this show they mixed up the colors of the shorts. They did blue v. white instead of the white with some black v. black with some white they've been doing since Reebok came on.

Last edited by molson : 08-21-2016 at 04:46 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote