View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
He is not unusual amongst their older fan base, and I'm sure JiMGa will attest to that.

QFT. It is, and has always been, one of the most utterly delusional fan bases in the country. Such accounts for a significant portion of my intense hatred for them.

Quote:
The record that led to Richt's demise:
10-4
12-2
8-5
10-3 (FIRED)
4-3

Their national recruiting rankings (per Rivals)over that time:
11 (FIRED)
Really dont bear out Smart's assertion that they lack talent.

Now on this point we disagree. I've always felt that Richt -- in addition to be a horrible game day coach that had a knack for hiring bad game day staff -- was one of the very worst in the business at separating reality from recruiting rankings.

Not every 4/5 star guy is an actual player. We all know that. He seemed to have a peculiar knack for finding & signing guys who failed to live up to their clippings, specifically ones who did so for what often appeared to be lack of effort/heart/or even interest.

And, as often happens with long term coaches, the trend looked decidedly downward. Despite the record, despite the recruiting rankings, the last three bowls were TaxSlayer, Belk, and Gator. At Georgia (and to be fair, several other places), that's going to get you fired.