Thread: Veterans Day
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

Same here. But many people TRULY appreciate what you and millions of others have done. So when somebody says "Thanks for your service" to me, I accept it gratefully knowing it's not necessarily something I did individually, but it's being said for the collective that have put forth amazing effort and sacrifice for our nation.

My grandfather served in WWII in the Army Air Corps (B-17's), my father served in the Air Force, did a tour in the Philippines at a remote radar site in support of the Vietnam War, I served in the Air Force supporting operations all the way back to Desert Storm, my sister served in the Air Force (military police, now called security forces) and my boys both are in the Air Force (one a photojournalist that travels largely with the Thunderbirds) and the other supports the Osprey aircraft (and has already served in Iraq and Africa in support of ongoing operations).

Like you, I can't point to one specific case where I feel like I deserve any thanks, but when you look at the bigger picture and recognize that the "Thanks for your service" is aimed at all and not one, you can be proud for all who served (including yourself) when you say, "You're welcome" or "No....thank YOU" in return (and lets face it, the armed forces is nothing without the American citizen who pays for it...so I've returned the thanks as much as I've received it. We're all in this together.)

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you for your service!

Last edited by Dutch : 11-11-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote