View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #550
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
My current guess with Trumps stance with China - he's happy to take a trade war and the negatives which go with that in return for having an 'enemy' to blame things on and also being able to use the increased tensions to fuel military spending and increased demand for weapons (which will drive US jobs as the industrial military machine in the US is huge).

It's an incredibly horrific play to make imho because the risks involved are untenable to my morals - but I can see it going down well with his supporters so long as it remains purely a 'Cold War' and their preferred luxuries remain cheap ...
I don't think he cares about the military-industrial complex, but agree on the first half. I do wish that people stopped pretending it was a one way street though - after about 30 years of continuous progress towards openness and Western ideals China has grown increasingly insular and centralized in the last 5 years under its current administration. As suspect as the Trump call was for other reasons, even the Taiwan kerfuffle illustrates that - I'm kind of past the point where we need to tip toe around on eggshells and pretend Taiwan isn't a real country deserving of full diplomatic recognition in 2016.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote