SEC: 8
SoCon: 2
Southland: 1
Summit: 1
Sun Belt: 1
West Coast: 7
WAC: 2

Here are my tournament picks for the Bracketless game:

1 - Penn State (26-6, Big Ten) Looking at this year's field, I have a hard time picking a top seed that'll survive their draw just because of how strong some of the lower seeds are, at least historically. But this Penn State team is among the top scoring in the country (88.5 PPG, 8th in the nation) and went 7-3 against Top 50 teams. Plus, that program has come so close a bunch of times over the past two decades and I feel like at some point, they're just due to break through.

1 - UConn (28-6, ACC) - I originally picked Penn State in this spot, but then I took a closer look at UConn. They haven't won a national title since 1995, so this isn't the UConn you're accustomed to, but they had a dominant year in a Top 5 conference and a whopping 10-1 against Top 50 teams. They're the 12th best scoring team in the country (86.9 PPG) and the consensus #1 team in the country in both poll and RPI. The tournament isn't always kind to these types of teams, but given I haven't really picked anyone in the top half of their bracket, I feel like if a top seed is going to make it to the Final Four, why not these guys? Their first-year head coach Alejandro Gibbs took Marquette to the Elite 8 three years ago, so he knows how to win.

2 - Mississippi Valley State (32-0, Heritage)
This upstate program had a massive turnaround making the tournament last year for the first time since 1986. They're back again and are easily the top defensive team in the country, allowing opponents only 56.1 PPG.

My worry with them is that they don't really put up a ton of points and their regular season schedule is hot garbage including OOC which only included one Top 50 game. That said, I feel like you shouldn't bet against an undefeated team this time of year and perhaps this is the year they're able to ride the wave all the way to the Final Four. The forward duo is Andre Kidwell (15.8 PPG) and Quinton Knowles (14.3 PPG) will have to show up to give them any real chance.

3 - Tulane (25-8, Big 12)
I don't know if Tulane is the safe choice here, but I'm picking them anyway. Their leading scorer - Alberto Ashcraft (16.1 PPG) gives me confidence, they have a solid bench core and I think their road to a deep tournament run looks more clear to me than any of the other 3-seeds. The Green Wave were 7-4 against Top 50 teams in the regular season and are 14th in the nation in scoring defense (69.4 PPG).

4 - City College of New York (27-7, Big East) I don't think you should bet against the best program of all-time, especially when they're 16 years removed from their last national title. They're due a championship and despite their dismal record against the Top 50 this year (3-5), they're the 5th best scoring team in the country (89.6 PPG) and I don't think anyone in their half of the bracket can really take them down. Lastly, this is a team that lost in the Elite 8 last year, so it makes me think they've still got battle tested guys on their roster who are committed to unfinished business in this year's tournament.

5 - Baylor (24-8, Big 12)
This was a tough decision between Baylor or Texas A&M, but I went with the top scoring team in the nation (91 PPG). Their head coach Austin Braswell Jr. is in his first year with the team after six years at Kansas State and I think he will help them improve on last year's first round exit. Junior forward Andrew Cade averages 15 PPG and 6.3 RPG.

6 - Kansas (23-10, Big Ten) I think this is a classic underseed job. The Jayhawks went 9-6 in the B1G this year, they're the 7th best scoring team in the country, their chronic problem was their ability to be very Jekyll and Hyde on any given night. They lost to 4 teams in the Top 50, but on any given night, they can blow you out of the gym. Sophomore guard Adam Blackwell (18.5 PPG) and sophomore forward Donnell Fair (15.4 PPG, 4.2 RPG) are the best 1-2 combo in the nation, so I just have to put my money on these guys.

7 - Wofford (30-4, Southern)
This team is scary good. Sure, they play in a junk conference but they're Top 20 in the nation in scoring (85.6 PPG) and Top 30 in scoring defense (70.5 PPG allowed) and I haven't seen any team that mirrors that so far. Short of a few missteps, they're the kind of upstart that I feel like if the stars align right could end up going far.

8 - Loyola Marymount (25-6, West Coast) I originally picked Penn State, who these guys would meet in the 2nd round meaning somebody would go home. But seeing this team here made me change my mind preemptively. But I just have a hard time going against the defending champs who surely got seeded here because they're in a junk conference. They're a top 30 team in both offense and defense, and four of their leading scorers are in double-digit point figures. This team is experienced, has five seniors and two juniors and I just don't see any reason to bet against them.

9 - San Diego (23-8, West Coast) Five scorers on this team in double digits for the season including senior guard Mac Leake (14.5 PPG). Another reason to like them in addition to their high scoring offense (90.3 PPG), is the fact that they have six seniors on this roster. I knew nothing about them until just now, but the WCC has played above its weight lately and was a five-bid league this year.

10 - Northern Iowa (26-7, Summit) Another senior-laden team that's balanced on both offense and defense. Their star is senior forward Alex Betts who is the team's leading scorer (16.4 PPG) and second-leading rebounder (6.0 RPG).

11 - Seattle (23-11, West Coast) Teams at this seed line are always flawed. But this Redhawks team beat Loyola Marymount twice and Oregon in their season opener. They're one of the Top 25 ball distributing teams in the country (19.8 APG) and they shoot 40% from the three point line.

12 - Rice (25-7, WAC) Led by senior PG Jeremy Nielsen (16.3 PPG, 4.8 APG), I chose this team mostly because they didn't class with many of my other picks in their immediate bracket. Plus, that St. John's team they face in the first round looks like prime upset material.

13 - IPFW (26-6, Horizon) The Mastadons are the 5th best defensive team in the country. Senior guard Ramiro Vega is their offensive engine (17.8 PPG) and his ability to take over games coupled with lock-down defense makes me think they have an outside chance at surprising folks.

14 - Wyoming (22-13, Frontier)
This is a pure homer pick. This is Wyoming's first tournament appearance in 42 years. The Pokes are led by first-year head coach 28-year old Quinton Akers, who will surely get lots of calls after this season is over. They won 20 games last year though, so this isn't a total worst to first, situation.

15 - Jacksonville (22-11, Atlantic Sun) The Dolphins are the 4th best offensive rebounding team in the country.

16 - Charleston Southern (16-16, Big South)
The Bucs are missing their star point guard Elbert Dunham (15.0 PPG) so I don't think they have a prayer, but the other sixteen seeds include a William & Mary team that went 3-10 in the AAC and a University of Denver club that went 14-21 (3-13 in the WCC) but not only won the WCC tournament somehow, but also won their opening round game to advance to the round of 64.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote