Old 01-31-2017, 03:18 AM   #73
Izulde
Head Coach

@ AFC Varndeanians (6th)
G: Rob Peet
D: Darren Ebsworth/Tom Howe/Samuel Westray/Ryan Docherty
M: Marios Solomou/Mason Hirst/Michael Monaghan/Curtis Burrows
S: Jon Joyce/Andrew Quinn

52 - Highlightless game so far. Monaghan moves to MR, Brinkhurst taking his MC slot. Stanley replaces Hirst in the other MC place. Not a good look in central midfield, but Lokando needed a game off.

81 - They had a shot, but Ebsworth clears the ball out in time back in the 73rd minute. Here, Ebsworth makes a phenomenal interception in their half to start a move that caps by Brinkhurst out to Monaghan for a gorgeous high ball that drops to the box in front of unmarked Solomou, the shot rifled in. Surprised that wasn't offsides, TBH. 1-0

92 - Seconds before the game ends, Monaghan plays another beautiful longball, this time to Quinn down the right flank. He dribbles, cuts in, fires. Deflected. But Quinn puts away his own rebound to clinch it! 2-0

Michael Monaghan gets all the plaudits in this one, and rightfully so, earning an 8.3 and PotM. Marios Solomou picked up a 7.8 in what was a pretty pedestrian game. To be expected, however, given our constant gauntlet.

Transfer In - DC Tim Walker (19) (From Lingfield)
Dude is 6'5, 200, which makes him our biggest player by 2 inches and 20 bounds. Great jumping reach (14) and the second strongest player on our team (12). 10 Marking, 16 Teamwork. Mental attributes need quite a bit of work, to be honest, but what sold me is he averaged a 6.9 the last two seasons in the division ahead of ours, and was almost 7 this year. For those stats, I'm willing to take a gamble. Former Bournemouth prospect, so he came from a Premier League farm system.

Transfer Out - DL Luke Rowe (Non-Contract)
The 28 year old New Zealander played well for us during last year's title run (14 appearances - 6.73 rating), but I knew going up he was going to be on the chopping block. He just doesn't have what it takes to compete on our roster, so this was best for both sides.

And then it happens.

Transfer In - ST Nico Thongvivat (23) (From Paulton)
My favorite striker of this dynasty moved on from Burgess Hill Rhinos to Paulton late last season, and while he struggled in 3 matches last year, this season has a 6.82 average rating with 4 goals in 12 appearances in the Western Premier after the club got relegated down from 1D. I discovered while randomly checking the Rhinos as I often do, that he'd signed elsewhere and he was willing to rejoin forces with me on a Key Player contract. Much like Peggy Lokando, my staff is meh on him, but just like our Congelese veteran, I know what he's capable of.

vs Balcombe (12th)
G: Rob Peet
D: Joe Hopewell/Tom Howe/Tim Walker/Ryan Docherty
M: Marios Solomou/Ellis Parker/Michael Monaghan/Peggy Lokando
S: Jon Joyce/Andrew Quinn

Nico Thongvivat is still dealing with a minor injury, and after reviewing our newly stacked team, I decided to keep the flat 4-4-2, with Ellis Parker replacing Mason Hirst in the starting lineup, and Curtis Burrows taking a sub role.

53 - We're playing like ass in the first half, so I yell at the team. Docherty intercepts, passes to Monaghan, who is way wide right, and the fabulous long ball to Quinn sees a dribble and diagonal spear into the net! 1-0

58 - Monaghan wings out to Lokando for the first touch center to Parker and out to Solomou in the box. It's an around the world beautiful move that sees Solomou destroy the keeper on a snipe diagonal! 2-0

60 - Sloppy, assbag defending. Afterwards, we switch to a 3-1-4-2 DM, Parker moving to DM role, Hirst in at MC, and Westray taking the lone DC spot. 2-1

77 - A hard-charging Hirst hammers down an interception of a clearance and short passes to Quinn in the box, the latter tallying goal #10 on the year! 3-1

[b]Michael Monaghan (9.0) is PotM, but if Andrew Quinn hadn't blown a couple easy shots, he'd have had 4 goals and the award, instead of an 8.9. Still showing impressive growth - Marios Solomou with an 8.0.

At 16 games, we're just over halfway through the league season, and even though we're easing in a couple new starters and debating between a 4-4-2 and a 3-1-4-2 DM as the optimal approach, we're still 8 points ahead of 2nd and 9 ahead of third. I realize for some people, this type of success is probably boring, but unlike Burgess Hill Rhinos, where we didn't have any trouble once we figured out tactics, this has taken a longer time than usual to build, and we've had injury rashes complicate things. To say nothing of our best player in Ken Black leaving.

I'll hold off on a Rhinos update for now, so let's check in on Cheddar:

I'd forgotten that I promoted them from Western League Division One to Western League Premier. Anyway, they finished 3rd last season after I left, and this year, the Cheesemen are in 3rd, but with a game in hand that if they win, would put them 2nd, tied for 1st but losing out on goal differential. They, Cribbs, and Bristol Manor Farm are the elite 3 in the Western Premier right now. Emmanuel Mensah is leading the team with 9 season goals at DR. Um, WOT?

I know we're ridiculously stacked at central midfield, but damn I'm tempted to try and pry George Colson. Nevermind - he says our stature isn't good enough. Yeah, fuck you, George.

Jerrome Sobers is still a boss at 33, the Dominican leading the team with a 7.29 average rating as he holds down the central defense. They're running a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide, with Carl Harris as the lone striker up front. Still can't offer contracts either, despite being semi-pro.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote