View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 04:21 AM   #79
Izulde
Head Coach

Transfer Out - ST Julian Owusu (30) (Ghanaian) - Non-Contract
Far too inconsistent and played way below his actual talent level. The 7.29 and 7.22 ratings in 15 and 4 league games respectively the two years he was with us are a mirage in my opinion - one of those guys who looks good on paper and in stats, but just can't cut it.

Ed Brinkhurst goes down for 3 months with injury. Too bad, as he would have had a start next game.

@ Mountfield United (11th)
G: Matt Pegler
D: Darren Ebsworth/Tom Howe/Tim Walker/Ryan Docherty
M: Joe Hopewell/Mason Hirst/Michael Monaghan/Curtis Burrows
S: Justin Leavers/Andrew Quinn

Going with as many backup guys as possible this match, as we've a cup game in a few days. A win locks up our title.

8 - Misjudged header by Monaghan allows the goal on that corner kick. 0-1

56 - Monaghan atones for his earlier mistake with an interception, drive capped by Hirst's long ball out to Burrows on the wing. Perfect center cross to Leavers, and he scores the equalizer against his old team! 1-1

62 - So, Burrows. Sliding tackle to dispossess the opponent? Great. Sliding tackle that passes the ball right to another opposing forward for the open score? Fucking terrible. 1-2

84 - And there's Walker off with injury. Parker jumps in as we switch to a 3-1-4-2 DM.

Just a couple of really bad freak plays doomed us to this loss. Second straight game where we should have won, and things happened to bounce just the wrong way to stop us. Tim Walker is also out a month with a chest injury, which hurts. Literally.

We still back into clinching promotion anyway with five games left to play.

@ Northbrook (Mid Sussex Senior Cup Quarterfinal)
G: Richard Jones
D: Joe Hopewell/Tom Howe/Ryan Docherty
DM: Ellis Parker
M: Orlando Joao/Mason Hirst/Peggy Lokando/Curtis Burrows
S: Nico Thongvivat/Jon Joyce

Michael Monaghan wasn't rested in time to play this one, but that's fine.

8 - They're really doing a good job of putting pressure on us in their half, so it's a lot of passing around. Thongvivat cracks a shot at the edge of the box, but it's blocked. Hirst is first to loose ball and passes to Joao. The Dutchman passes to open space in the box and Thongvivat breaks loose to *just* skim in the near post shot, finally ending his lengthy scoring drought! 1-0

43 - Thundering charge down the pitch initiated by Parker. Hirst gets it and plays a beautiful ball into the box for Thongvivat, who dribbles and shoots. It's knocked away, but Thongvivat drifts left and back, cracking another shot just as two defenders collapse on him. It's in! 2-0

54 - Monaghan in for Hirst; Ronnie Brock for Howe.

66 - Monaghan wings it out to Joao, who centers to Thongvivat. The keeper's been faked out, so it should be an easy hat trick score. But then the defender throws his body out of nowhere to block the shot! Luckily, Joyce is there to drill the rebound! 3-0

75 - Docherty throws in to Joyce, who is immediately decked. Docherty picks up the rebound and passes up to Burrows for the feed forward to Joyce in the box. Our alliterative striker draws FOUR defenders on him and kicks back to Burrows, who shoots. Keeper drifts left, dives, and blocks, but Joao sinks the rebound with ease!! 4-0

My very badly done diagram of that goal, which is one of the niftiest ones I've seen in FM.

79 - Nobody even bothered defending that long free kick. 4-1

7.7 for Ellis Parker, 8.1 for Curtis Burrows, 7.8 for Peggy Lokando, 8.3 for Orlando Joao, and matching 8.8s for Jon Joyce and Nico Thongvivat. It's Joyce who gets PotM, thanks to his fabulous work in drawing the train on that gorgeous goal you saw displayed above.

Burgess Hill Rhinos keep smashing tournament records. What a monster I helped create. Fortunately, we get lucky and don't draw them for the Semi-Final match, and will instead get steamrolled in the title game.

The takeover talks collapse, as I figured they would. Mad scouting frenzy ahead, yo!

Transfer In - DL David Lynn (25) (From Cheddar)
My Chief Scout loves this kid, who I can't remember if I signed or not. The rest of my staff is eh on him at best, but he's fast, quick, and strong, and can pinch-hit ML and DC if need be. 4* potential according to my scout - everyone else thinks he's a 2*, but they don't know potential. We'll give him a try. Oh wait, I *did* sign him. He was good for me, though has declined in play in his second year with the Cheesemen. That's right - he was one of my offseason signings when I promoted the team up to the Western Premier.

vs Mile Oak (15th)
G: Matt Pegler
D: Darren Ebsworth/Tom Howe/Ronnie Brock/Ryan Docherty
M: David Lynn/Mason Hirst/Michael Monaghan/Curtis Burrows
S: Justin Leavers/Andrew Quinn

Same scenario as against Mountfield United. Get as many B guys in there and let it ride, because cup match in a few days.

8 - Well, I mean they do have more to play for, fighting to stay up. 0-1

52 - Lynn dribbles the ball down the left flank, and jackhammers it. Keeper jumps up high to deflect the bomb shot. Unfortunately for him, that just drops it to open space, where injured Quinn sinks it with ease. 1-1

62 - They're forcing us back and back, until Ebsworth gets the ball at midfield. Long, screaming ground ball all the way into the box hits Leavers, and finally that damn disappointing striker scores one. 2-1

88 - Brilliant defense by Howe to stop a sure goal and blast to Quinn to start a counter move. Ends with Lynn dribbling, shaking, baking, and faking out the defender deep on the left flank. Near post cross to Leavers for the sliding tackle score! 3-1

Justin Leavers was the obvious MVP with an 8.8. Otherwise everyone fell in the 6.8-7.2 range - the type of solid, yet unremarkable win against one of the league's worst teams to guarantee that we're the Southern Combination Football League Division Two champions!!! Our second straight promotion and second straight championship!!!! After the game, Mason Hirst said it was the asskicking I gave the team at half-time that turned it around. In scoring those 2 goals, Justin Leavers officially breaks the league season goal scoring record for now. Oh, and David Lynn had a 7.1 debut, looking fabulous despite not being naturally suited to ML.

Andrew Quinn is out 5-6 weeks, but that's okay. Gives me an excuse not to play him.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote