View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #2611
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's about jobs. West Virginia's economy is collapsing because the loss of coal jobs and the state has done little to help the heavy coal areas in southern WV move on with a viable economic alternative. This has led to huge spikes in drug use and drug related deaths in the area.

My family, which is heavy Democrat in most beliefs, was willing to vote for whoever promised to make coal viable again because of the impact its had on the area they live in.

They understand its bad for the environment, but in an area with little to no other options they're willing to allow another generation to have to figure out if it means immediate improvement.

Okay. I can see this argument in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I'm a bit confused by all of the Indiana support I'm seeing in my news feed. I mean, we have coal mines, but I don't consider it a major part of our economy...and I theoretically live in what would be the closest thing we've got to coal country.

The profile of the cheer squad tends to also be the pro-hunt and fish/outdoorsmen/second amendment guys...who generally aren't like environmental activists, but they're very solid proponents of responsible use and conservation.

So either they're completely blinded by partisan nose-thumbing (which is possible in some cases), but in general, it leads me to assume that there's something I'm missing. But I can't get anybody to say anything other than "more jobs"...despite the fact that none of them seem to be in line to get (or want) coal mining jobs.

I almost feel like people with reservations are afraid to talk this one out because they're afraid of being accused of being a snowflake (at least publicly...may be time for a beer-and-range-time get together to find out what they're really thinking).
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote