View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #45
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
But in terms of a gay couple wanting to adopt, how much harder is it and how much more money does it take for them to get a child.
Laws vary from state to state, so there may be some travel expense involved depending on where you live. And I believe it's still true that in some states, a gay person can adopt individually but the couple can't adopt jointly. (Definitely was true a few years ago. Talk about taking teh dumb to the next level...) Based on stats I've seem, gay couples tend to be more open to adopting a different race, so that improves their odds (and lowers their cost in some instances.)

All that to say: depending on where a gay couple lives and what sort of adoption they're wanting to do, it can be easier, no different, or more difficult. But there are so many variables in adoption I suspect that it's extremely difficult to truly quantify. As a result, both sides are able to cherry-pick stats that support their point. Some are obvious, such as "Gay couples adopt at a higher rate than straight couples." Uhhh.....