collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group K

Week 7

Florida State- 42, Eastern Michigan- 28
Illinois- 34, UL Monroe- 10
Iowa State- 31, Tulsa- 14
San Diego State- 46, Oregon State- 29

The Seminoles get the win, but it took them almost the entire half to wake up. They were down 21-10 late in the 2nd quarter before they got a late TD to trail 21-17 at halftime. The telling quarter was the fourth quarter, in which Florida State scored 22 unanswered points to get the win and clinch the group title. San Diego State also needed a big second half, outscoring the Beavers 39-15 to coast to victory and clinch 3rd place in the group. Illinois picks up their 2nd win of group play, and Iowa State continues to be the shock of the tournament, beating up on Tulsa.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Final Group K standings, with point differential in parenthesis:

#1- Florida State 6-1 (+126)
#2- Iowa State 6-1 (+96)
#3- San Diego State 5-2 (+101)
#4- Oregon State 4-3 (+21)
#5- Eastern Michigan 3-4 (-45)
#6- Illinois 2-5 (-28)
#7- UL Monroe 1-6 (-187)
#8- Tulsa 1-6 (-84)

I'm still in complete amazement at what Iowa State did in group play. A 3 win team in reality wins 6 games in their group, while a 9 win team wins 1 game in their group? That's why I do things like this. Sure, for the most part, the teams that are expected to win and advance do, but every now and then you have a group like this. I love it.

Florida State has to feel a bit perturbed though, a lousy 1 point loss took them from a potential top 5, maybe even top 3 seed in the Round of 64, to a seed somewhere between 6-10 probably. Still very good, but what could have been. Iowa State will just be happy to still be playing, while The Aztecs and Beavers round it out. Tough luck for Tulsa, you know they'd love a chance to redeem themselves. Next we head to Group L, which has 2 ranked teams, as well as 3 other teams in the group that post 8+ wins. This group is gonna be a dogfight for sure, with no real clear favorite.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote