View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #2852
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Like I mentioned, they've been talking about purchasing across state lines for a long time now. It was talked about during the GOP presidential debates and Trump mentioned just a few days ago that his health plan would include that. I think the GOP feels trapped by the pre-existing condition portion of the ACA. They realize they can't get rid of the mandate without getting rid of that, so just came up with a more privatized version of the same thing. Maybe they do want it to pass, but I don't think this is really what they want at all.

I think that was just campaign rhetoric from Trump. Insurance companies don't want the competition and thus it's not happening.

There are parts of the ACA that everyone liked. The pre-existing condition part is popular even among Republican voters. Getting rid of that would have pissed off even Republicans. There are issues with the ACA but a lot of the repeal completely talk came from people who don't have a clue what it is anyway.

This works out great for Republicans. Repealing it completely would have caused a disaster among their supporters when they realized what it meant. So they change a few minor things around and sell it as a repeal because those people are stupid and don't know the difference. The insurance companies get a big handout which is good for their campaign coffers going forward. And it allowed them to put massive tax cuts in for the rich which has always been what Republican politicians wanted to get out of it. Sure it's an economic disaster down the road, but no one really cares about the deficit anyway.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote