View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Tom Ashley
n00b

3 August 2016

Tom Ashley's first month on the job was spent refining his team's roster, preparing it for league play...and learning much, much more about the reality of managing a lower league club.

Tom didn't figure a boss like Juan Jose Rodríguez at Manchester City or Ferdinando Amato at Chelsea spent much time doing the small things he had to pay attention to each day--helping Samuel Rice make sure there was enough toilet paper, taking the team coach (a repurposed school bus) for maintenance. Even James Nolan, the manager of his beloved Preston North End (a Championship club), had a staff roster at his disposal that was bigger than Tom's first team.

All of Sutton Courtenay's players were signed to non-contract, "pay-as-you-play" deals. Midfielder Matt East, to whom Tom gave the captain's armband, and goalkeeper Dan Goodwin were joint high earners, on £50/game. Most of the other prospective first teamers made £40, and younger players and reserves might pull in £20. The club's wage budget was just over £600/week, and Tom had about £90 of that to work with.

Tom had found several new players in the past few weeks. He believed versatility was a crucial quality for lower league players to possess, so he looked for men who could play several positions effectively. A player or two like this on his bench gave him the tactical flexibility he wanted.

He found a perfect example of this type of footballer in Sheridan Edwards, a 20-year-old "midfielder" who was actually comfortable everywhere on the pitch except in goal. Michael Shaw was a slightly more offensive-minded utility player who was almost as versatile as Edwards. Young goalkeeper Rory Blanchard needed seasoning, but had promise. Another youngster, Priestley Chippendale, would have been an interesting player on the basis of his name alone, but he also demonstrated some talent in the middle of the park.

The prize discovery of the first weeks was wide man Jason Blanks. He was 26, and had turned out for a half-dozen very small clubs in the area over the past few years. Jason was an electrician by trade, and he'd never had a chance to demonstrate his skills with a semi-professional club.

"I had a few tryouts," Blanks recalled. "I don't run fast, and you can see I'm not a big bloke. I guess I don't look the part of a winger."

The 5'6" Blanks played with flair, and he dribbled as if the ball were attached to his foot. Tom also noticed the way he moved without the ball, putting himself in dangerous positions and drawing defenders away. So, despite his lack of pace, which was notable even by Sutton Courtenay standards, Tom signed him, and he immediately stepped into the first team.

Sutton Courtenay played six friendly matches during July and early August, winning three, losing two, and drawing one. Shaw especially distinguished himself during the preseason, playing himself onto the fringes of the first eleven as a striker or an offensive midfielder. Towering Peter Green missed three matches with a calf injury, but established himself as an imperious presence in the center of the team's defense. Goodwin could be frustratingly inconsistent in goal, but he could also produce highlight-reel saves.

Tom's first real test was approaching quickly. In three days' time, his team would face CB Hounslow United in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup. Were they ready?

"We'll see, won't we?" Tom said with a smile.

Last edited by Tom Ashley : 03-18-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Tom Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote