View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #72
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is that the built-in-1917 section of reservoir? Or a newer segment?

I'm just wondering if it's been there for 100 years, did the guy not drive the route at some point before buying?
No idea about the 1917 part, but the entire development--not just our one subdivision, but like 8 subdivisions--was built starting in either 2004 or 2005. (Our house was built in 2007 and was in the final section of "Phase 1." We rented in the same neighborhood starting in 2006, and the rental house was built in 2005 and we were told it was "among the first houses built.) Prior to that, it was just a massive wooded area. The reservoir was there when we got there in 2006. Unless he did zero due diligence, there's no chance that he didn't know about the drive. By the time we built in 2007, you still had to drive four miles just to get to a crappy grocery store in a shady part of town. (That store was maybe half a mile from the Walter Scott shooting, fwiw.) A new nice one was being built in the development less than a mile from our house at the time we decided to build there. By 2009*, there was one sort of local neighborhood bar/grill in the same shopping area as the nice Bi-Lo, but that was it Even when we moved to NC in 2014, there were just two neighborhood competing bar/grills, a Subway, and a carry-out Chinese place---but enough people in those 8ish subdivisions in the development that the city had already secured funds to build a new elementary school right smack-dab in the middle of the area. (Just to the south of the "D" in "Our 'Hood" on the map.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In my defense, I bought my house outside of football season and had not experienced the shutdown phenomenon.

We just stand it on its head though. Before & after kickoff you just make sure you've got food in the house ahead of time and don't need to be anywhere at all. During the first 2-3 quarters though, you can go anywhere around Athens (aside from downtown) without any trouble at all, no waiting, no lines, nobody.
Heh. Yeah. I took my oldest to her first game in Athens this year. It was a noon kickoff in September (Nichols State) and the heat was too much for her. We barely made it into the 2nd quarter before I decided to bail before I tainted the experience forever for her. That was the first time I'd driven around Athens *during* a game. Yeah, talk about a ghost town. It was remarkable.

(*--I know this date because I had a once-a-month gig there and was scheduled to play there for only the third time on the day she was born. Some friends of mine, mostly from my church, were planning to come and though we got the word out to most, everyone didn't hear. As a result, I'll always have the story to tell that my Pastor found out from a bartender that one of the Elders in his church had his first child. )

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-02-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote