Thread: Moviepass
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Ya, this seems like it could be a real game-changer for the theaters. Reddit is freaking out and I'm not seeing any indication of other restrictions. This is the official release from moviepass:

"Dear MoviePass Community,

For the last several years, we have been testing a number of service offers and price points. We have learned a lot during this process and believe that we now have an offer that can’t be beat.

Effective today, we are introducing a universal subscription plan for $9.95 per month. MoviePass will have one price point nationwide and it will be for standard 2D films only. As a subscriber, you can see any movie, at any theater, at any time. For your convenience, we currently support more than 91 percent of movie theaters nationwide. Unfortunately, premium formats such as 3D and IMAX will not be included in this plan.

We believe that you want to see more movies in theaters. Our $9.95 per month subscription makes it possible for you to see a movie every day, if you would like.

For current members, your price will automatically be reduced to $9.95, beginning on your next billing cycle following August 15th.

As before, there is no contract, so you are free to cancel at any time. This price point will be guaranteed for at least 12 months for those who sign up during this period. Space is limited.

To all of those members who have supported us over the years, thank you! We look forward to continuing to provide award-winning service and giving you the largest selections of movies and theaters in the industry.

See you at the movies! The MoviePass Team"

The "space is limited" is the only thing that caught my eye - not sure if there's only X number of people who will be able to sign up, or if that just refers to theater space limitations. And I'm guessing the price will go up at some point, as they specifically mention the 12-month price guarantee. I'm guessing it will be $10/month for new users and then they'll eventually bump you up like many other service providers do after the first year. Though in that scenario, unlike cable or internet, you could just use different email addresses/credit cards.

Last edited by molson : 08-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote