View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #78
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The NCAA changed the signing date from Feb to Dec. This gives the players more power in their recruitment.
Then there were some stats on how many offers teams were giving.
I couldnt find it, but a couple SEC teams offered over 200 players. Iowa State was listed 2nd, they offered 331 schollies last year.

Slight correction. They have added an additional signing day in Dec.
This is primarily to close the stupid loop hole they created with early enrollees. Until 2 years ago no student could receive financial aid until they signed their NOI, which meant if they graduated High school early and enrolled in classes in January the school couldnt give them a scholarship until after Feb 1. Created all kinds of stupidity ...the bursars office could just bill and wait on tuition money but housing was trickier.

A couple years ago they added the financial aid agreement signatures where kids can sign that early, but actually still werent locked into school until feb 1. Now kids can "sign" in December. That is the primary focus of the rule. But the "hidden" benefit is coaches can get a Feb signee/fall enrollment kid to sign in December and then down the stretch recruiting run they dont have to "waste" time keeping that kid firm. They can get their kid off the market.

Zook at Illinois used to be the worst at throwing offers out. Tennessee is bad about it now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And, of course, Im a 5* and Alabama wants me as does Wisconsin. Its cold in Wisconsin 9 months a year. But not in Alabama.

Thats true. And it's why the Big 10 schools struggle to be as good as the SE schools. It's a reasonable explanation. Just because the inferiority is justified doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I'm a little surprised you lean so heavy on bowl games outside of the playoffs. I'm curious what others think on that topic. We've seen plenty of teams lack initiative in their bowl game, I don't see the same thing for top 10 type teams during the regular season.

I hate this argument. Im not saying it is never valid. But by and large when a teenager takes the field to play a game he plays to win. I've never seen a team that didnt want to be there. If you have a coaching change and the HC is interim maybe. But kids play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
But it is very true to say that due to injuries, ND basically didn't run any practice with tackling for a full month - couldn't afford any more injuries. And what did their great defense have the most issues with against Alabama? Tackling.

FWIW neither Clemson nor Alabama tackle to the ground in practice after the season starts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
CUTiger can correct me but Clemson simulates different weather patterns as part of their new football facility. Here is a picture from their spring game, simulating winter weather. Look at the crowd, not to mention the size of their players.

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a weather seeder in that new building.
LOL.
I think the weather thing is also overplayed. 2 years ago ND came to Clemson and we played in a literal freaking hurricane. The story all week was how the big midwest offensive linemen would dominate and Clemson better pray for sun. Gameday was a unanimous ND pick, with 3 mentioning weather.
After the game Brian Kelly said he was really disappointed they didnt get to play on a clean dry field as speed was their primary weapon.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote