View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 AM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Why, did someone kneel during the anthem or something?

The culmination of several years of there being very few legit contenders and a passel of pretenders who all have rather glaring fatal flaws.

The game has declined noticeably to me, probably starting within a few years of the scholarship reductions in the 90s and continuing through the expansion of
D-I, watering down the talent levels of teams. I've been very honest about my belief that, while I maintain a list of 25 as a matter of custom, everything from about 10 thru 40 or 50 is as much a coin toss as anything. And I'm obviously not alone in that sentiment, this year's combined primary two preseason polls had votes for 62 different teams between them. That's only a shade below half the teams in D-I.

That, plus the incessant phrase "the play is currently under review" making a major dent in the enjoyment of simply watching the games, combines to make this one of the least enthusiastic periods for the game I can remember having.