View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 AM   #153
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Year 369 recap:

The first Grand Slam of the year was won by world #2 Vincent Caladrini, a routine straight-set win over #6 Matt Flashman.

The Indian Wells Masters was won by homecrowd favourite #2 Nigel Vavasour, who beat Sweden's Franz Palmquist 5/7, 6/4, 6/1.

In Miami, Vavasour won again, this time beating Caladrini 0/6, 6/4, 6/2, a really nice recovery from a piss-poor first set.

In Monte Carlo, #3 Zhai Zhao-ji from Singapore beat #1 Caladrini 7/6(4), 4/6, 6/4.

In Madrid, #7 Zhai Xiao-xuan from Singapore (I assume supposed to be Zhao-ji's brother?) won the title, beating #5 Harald Helm from Germany, 6/3, 3/6, 7/5.

Rome saw Zhao-ji beat Caladrini in another Masters finals, this time 6/3, 6/4.

In the French Open, Xiao-xuan reached the finals as the #7 seed but lost to #12 Dimas Riveria from Argentina in a close finals, 6/1, 6/4, 3/6, 6/7(5), 6/2.

Wimbledon saw the world's top 2 players in the finals and #1 Caladrini beat #2 Vavasour routinely, 6/4, 7/6(3), 7/5. Caladrini's 2nd Grand Slam for the year.

The Canada Masters saw a re-match of the Wimbledon finals and another relatively easy win for Caladrini over Vavasour, 6/2, 7/6(3).

The Cincinnati Masters allowed Vavasour to get some revenge over Caladrini, the homecrowd propelling him to a tough 6/2, 6/7(4), 6/4 win.

In the US Open, #6 Matt Flashman took the crown, defeating Caladrini in 5 sets in the finals, 6/7(1), 7/6(6), 6/3, 1/6, 6/4.

The Shanghai Masters saw a return to winning ways for Caladrini as he beat Vavasour easily, 6/2, 6/4.

The Paris Masters saw a close finals between Caladrini and Vavasour, Caladrini again winning 6/4, 4/6, 7/6(9), in a nail-biter. Truly a passing of the torch here as the former dominant world #1 Vavasour has lost consistently to Caladrini this year.

A similar result in the World Tour Finals as Caladrini got the better of Vavasour again, 6/7(6), 6/4, 6/3.

Player watch:
Luca Caliari is ranked in the top 200 in the junior rankings at age 15+. He's progressing decently although it's frustrating to see crazy high exhaustion at times making him miss entire practice weeks.

Richard Large is progressing a little slower it feels and that's party because I had to wait about 14 weeks to get him off the "free agent" heap. That may be a factor in terms of his overall progression because of less effective training. Ranked in the top 600 at this time.

My former player Omar Al-Sadt was picked up by another trainer and, in year 370, is knocking on the doors of the top 100. I'm going to claim some credit for his progress
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote