Thread: Moviepass
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

I don't understand how this business would be sustainable even with a permanent 4/movie a month limit. They're not selling data, as we assumed they would, their business plan seems to assume that AMC and Regal will eventually fork over a share of the concession revenue and charge moviepass less per ticket than they would charge for non-subscribers. Which is very unlikely to ever happen. There was a theater executive who was quoted last week as saying that there's nothing that moviepass is doing that the theaters couldn't do themselves. Moviepass is an unnecessary middle man.

I've spent $80 to see about $400 worth of movies so far, and I'm sure I'm not even in the top half of their subscribers volume-wise. I'm happy to keep doing it as long as I can. And maybe Sinemia can outlive moviepass (they charge $15/month, billed annually, for 3 movie tickets a month, including IMAX and 3D, and you can buy the tickets in advance and reserve seats). It's a more sensible plan, but, even with them, I have no idea how even that's sustainable.

It's just crazy to think though how much of a hit moviepass takes with heavy users in places like NYC, where regular tickets can easily cost $15. A user going say, 20 times, is costing moviepass $300 in exchange for their $10. It's insanity. I can't remember another business ever offering a service like this.

Edit: There's a lot of speculation about whether the 4/month limit is permanent. Moviepass itself says that the unlimited plan will return after this "special" offer ends. They may be trying to limit their losses a bit during the big spring movie season and not get killed by Avengers and Solo. One thing I missed in the TOC when they did the revamp was that you now, you CAN actually see movies multiple times using moviepass. So if you want to see the Avengers every day next week for your $10 (which many people do), you can with moviepass.

Last edited by molson : 04-25-2018 at 02:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote