View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 AM   #162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkem View Post
IF the parent is doing their due diligence that is... which a lot of parents do NOT.

But if they aren't, honestly, do we really want anybody loaning them money?

I mean, at some point maybe being a fucking dumbass isn't something anybody ought to be subsidizing, ya know? (And least of all the government, a private entity can, I suppose, support stupidity to whatever degree they choose)

Quote:
If a school wants the student, of course, they'll make every effort to give the student a free ride... but I think the vast majority of students are in the other boat

I think, honestly, this is something that doesn't get enough play. If they don't show a certain level of interest then maybe it's up to the consumer to do a better job of figuring out that somebody is just trying to sell you something. They're in it for themselves with minimal benefit to you. At that point, deal with some hard truths & explore the options.

(fwiw, I promise, I may be ranting a little bit but I'm not ranting at you. You just sorta provide a jumping off point)

edit to add: There's all sorts of situations & configurations, I'm not saying everything is simple or cut & dried. But I do see a lot of really bad decision making processes around this stuff on a regular basis. And it doesn't so much piss me off as it ... confounds me. It's not easy, it's not simple ... which means it requires a helluva lot of effort to get anywhere near right in most cases, not the "well the magic choices fairy will come along & fix it" approach that seems to be sorta common.

The fact that this thread / discussion even exists pretty much puts every participant ahead of the curve vs the general public ... and that ought to be just damned frightening.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-26-2018 at 12:27 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote