View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #10809
RainMaker
General Manager

One weird thing I've noticed about the stuff Trump has problems with. They're all old stuff. I almost wonder if there is some weird thing with boomers where they get stuck on issues from 20 years ago. Similar to how our music tastes are heavily influenced by what we listened to as a teenager.

- Illegal immigration is way down. It's like a quarter of what it was in the 80's and 90's and that's been a gradual decline over the years.

- China hasn't manipulated it's currency in some time. This was an issue a decade or so ago, not now.

- Crime is universally down across the country over the past few decades.

- There isn't an automotive competition with Japan like in the 80's (when Reagan put those dumb tariffs on them). They build most of their cars here now.

- Coal is done. Technological advancements in the natural gas industry have just made it obsolete. And there are less jobs because mines are more efficient. Again, he think it's the 70's or 80's when this was actually an issue.

You could go on about NAFTA, the steel industry, tariffs, etc. It's almost all stuff that was a big concern 10-30 years ago. It's maybe what made Hillary the perfect foil.

It makes me wonder when we get older if we'll be stuck on the news today even if it's largely irrelevant. Will mass shootings go away and we'll still be treating them like huge problems? Will we be talking about fracking when that industry is on it's last legs? Maybe the key to getting the older vote is just focus relentlessly on issues from their past.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote