View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #10818
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about people coming across the border. Not people who've been here for a couple decades. Most of the rhetoric is about building a wall to keep people out. This isn't the 80's and 90's where floods of immigrants were coming across the border. The wall stuff made more sense back then.

Didn't see this before I responded to JPhillips.

Here's what I remember about past immigration reform and my stance on Trump's Wall.

1) Reagan did immigration reform. As part of the reform, it "legalized" some of the unauthorized. It was supposed to stop/reduce future unauthorized
2) It obviously failed in stopping/reducing future unauthorized. The "floods" of unauthorized came back after the 90's
3) I believe we need to do another round of immigration reform through the legislative process. I agree with JPhillips that many of the 11M unauthorized, like Reagan's plan, will need to be legalized
4) I support Trump's wall as part of a bigger immigration reform package to stop future unauthorized so we don't have to deal with this again (!) 20 years from now.

Hence, I support the Wall as part of a holistic immigration reform (e.g. legal and unauthorized immigration, addressing supply and demand etc.)

To your statement, if you believe a Wall would have made sense then, I contend it would also make sense now. History has repeated itself in our immigration reform failure.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-28-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote