Thread: Old School
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quite a bit has gone on over the last couple months. Spring semester went smoothly and I finished Chem and A&P with A’s.

So, from the last post, I had made a big decision on school plans. Around April or so, I decided to pursue another path, one that I had mentioned in a previous post that I had considered but put on the back-burner for a bit. Well, I decided it was the best option in the end and I applied to Nursing School to get my RN.

The process was quite annoying and busy and involved many things.
1) Getting my official transcripts reviewed and accepted
2) Taking and studying for the TEAS
3) Maintaining my grades
4) What would I do with work if I was accepted

First thing I did was start my application to see where I stood. I needed my high school transcripts, so I got those and uploaded to the school. Secondly, I had to have some pre-requisites to even apply. Math (done), English (done), Psychology (done) A&P101 (in progress). I got my college transcripts sent and reviewed and they accepted the Math and English, but stalled on the Psychology transfer. I waited. And waited. And finally they emailed back and stated that they were unable to accept the class since they could not find a syllabus at the school I took it from and unless I had a syllabus (from 15 years ago) or could get one, they would not transfer it in. It took me all of 10 minutes to call the school, and get a syllabus and also provide them a link that showed that school actually took their Psych equivalency as well. 2 days later, it was approved. So all pre-requisites were now approved.

Next on the list was my TEAS. The TEAS just covers English, Reading Comprehension, Math, and Science. Math is a strong suit and I did not practice too much here. I double checked my recollection of some basic ideas and formulas and practiced some, but overall it was a glancing pass. Reading is also a strong suit, and I felt comfortable here as well. English and me don’t always get along, probably obvious in this sentence. I forget a lot of the rules, so I spent some time on this and reviewed. Science was where I spent the majority of my time. The problem here was that I was only currently taking A&P 101 and Chemistry, but many of the questions were dealing with A&P 101 chapters I had not yet covered, A&P 102 chapters, which I would not be taking until summer semester, Chemistry stuff I had not yet seen as well as Biology I had long forgotten. I signed up for ATI, which I knew I would need anyway in the future if I was accepted and bought the practice tests, study guide, and also bought the pocket app for the TEAS and studied. And studied. And studied. Practice questions daily, while waiting in line, while at lunch, while sitting at my desk at work with a small break. Doing all of this while still taking my classes and maintaining my grades and work and life, kept me pretty busy.

While all of this was going on, I was still waiting on my Psych transfer. Had it not transferred, I decided that I would put my TEAS test off until later, take Psych over the summer and take the TEAS in September and apply then. Thankfully, as mentioned a bit ago, the transfer came in and I took the TEAS on May 3. The application deadline was May 18.

My practice tests had gone fairly well. Math and reading I was doing well on as expected, English fine and science was about 65-70%. However, you only had to be proficient or above overall, not in each category, so that helped relax me somewhat. I sat down to take my proctored test and Reading was up first. The first thing I had to read and subsequent questions, pissed me off and so I started the test negatively. A problem I have is that I can interpret things differently and sometimes a question can have multiple answers, but maybe just one is the answer they are looking for. I knew I was starting off badly and saw the timer ticking away and then started getting anxious. I finished the 47 questions (I think 42 counted) and moved on. Math was next. They were grouped in 5 or 6 questions per page. I answered, then double checked, and moved on through that part, and then did a quick back check. Done with much time to spare. Took a 5 minute piss and regroup break and sat down for English. Knocked it out and moved on to Science. I felt pretty good on the science portion and walked out. Got ready to submit my score and go see what I got.

77% on reading. WTF!!!! Exactly what I was not hoping for. I stressed myself out and wanted nothing less than a 90% here.
100% on math. Ok, I got my shit together, I wanted nothing worse than 95%
100% on English. Good, as I wanted nothing less than 90% here.
75% on science. Good, as I wanted nothing less than 70% here.

I shit the bed on reading, which was unexpected, but I stressed myself out and overthought too much I am sure. Overall grade was an 83%.
For the nursing application, after your pre-requisites, you need a certain GPA and then they basically take your TEAS score and add it to your class grade scores in A&P, English and Psych. I transferred in an A in English (worth 15 points), transferred in a B in Psych (worth 10 points) and needed a 72 on my A&P final to get my A. I got an 85 on the final and ended with a 91.4% in A&P. That transferred in 30 more points for a combined 55/60 points to add to my TEAS. So, I applied with 138/160. I chose the campuses I was interested in and chose Lawrence/Indianapolis as my #1 choice (which is the most competitive and most seats available) with Columbus #2, followed by Lafayette and Kokomo. All campuses I was willing to travel to and w/in 45 minutes, give or take.

On the day of application submission I almost talked myself out of flipping Indy and Lafayette, based on some scores I was seeing on Facebook Nursing page come through. Again, I was psyching myself out. I let it fly though and stuck with what I wanted.

May 25th was the 1st round of acceptance and email offers. Nothing came in by 9 a.m. and so I checked the Facebook page. Nobody else was getting anything either. At 9:06 a.m. I got an alert on my phone and received my acceptance. I let it sink in a bit, texted my girlfriend and told her first, then let a shit ton of weight off my shoulders.

Over the last 6 weeks, I have had 1 nursing orientation. 90 of us were selected to the ASN program out of 650 some applicants. I have knocked out all my requirements of CPR training, drug and criminal background, titers, vaccinations, couple quizzes on HIPAA, and other odds and ends. Got my scrubs ordered, other supplies I need, books etc.

This semester I took A&P 102, which is a co-requisite to the program and another stupid class for success in healthcare. I finished that class completely in 3.5 weeks. I still have 3 weeks left on the A&P 102 class, and all I have left here are 2 quizzes (one I cannot access until Monday, a Fetal Pig dissection quiz, one more discussion post and my final, which I cannot access until July 23rd and it is scheduled for that day). I currently have a 97% in that class and am officially pointed out and done with the other class as all stuff I need graded is graded and I am not participating in the last discussion post in that class, as I do not need the points.

What is going on with my full-time job? Well, I cannot do it full-time. I received my schedule for school last week. Monday classes from 9-4 straight with one hour lunch. Tuesday, Lab from 830-330 straight with lunch. Thursday, Clinical from 630-430. Thankfully, they need me at work for a bit and agreed to let me do part-time until the end of the year. I will work half a day Wednesday and a full Friday. Mostly, what is happening here is my team is dissolving (which was expected) and 2 of the girls are being absorbed on another team, and I will be going to a support team and training them on what I did and we did as a team that they will be taking over.

So, here I sit, a 43 year old, going into Nursing School. Of the 90 people in my class, about 15 are guys, which is decent. I think there is another guy around my age as well. There are women my age for sure. I am anxious to get started, but also want to enjoy these next 5 weeks as I also bought an engagement ring Sunday and plan on doing the proposal business here in the next couple weeks.

As for this thread, I had good intentions on it and still do. However, I do not think people really give two shits about me taking normal classes, and I realized nobody really wanted to know how I did on a test or what I was studying. However, if there is more interest on what a 43 year old dude is doing in Nursing School and what I experience in clinicals (that I can share) or labs or class, I will certainly continue to post more actively about my experiences as it has to be more interesting.

Also, sorry for the wall of text.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote