View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #11205
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think the context was, he was complaining that what he said wasn't nearly as bad as Col. Sanders using the N word. I don't see that as being some sort of acceptance of the use - although, as mentioned previously, he was stupid to even say it, and his point was not all that persuasive.

I've not read where this was a pattern with him? If not a pattern and it happened as stated below, definitely stupid and insensitive, but not sure it rises to him being a racist/racial slur.

The article did say the other company on the phone moved to terminate its contract with Papa John's which indicates it may have been very bad e.g. what we read doesn't convey the tone, length of the discussion etc. Kudo's to the company on stepping away from what I assume to be a lucrative deal on principle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir.../#781c9d844cfc
Quote:
John Schnatter—the founder and public face of pizza chain Papa John’s—used the N-word on a conference call in May. Schnatter confirmed the incident in an emailed statement to Forbes on Wednesday. He resigned as chairman of Papa John's on Wednesday evening.

The call was arranged between Papa John’s executives and marketing agency Laundry Service. It was designed as a role-playing exercise for Schnatter in an effort to prevent future public-relations snafus. Schnatter caused an uproar in November 2017 when he waded into the debate over national anthem protests in the NFL and partly blamed the league for slowing sales at Papa John’s.

On the May call, Schnatter was asked how he would distance himself from racist groups online. He responded by downplaying the significance of his NFL statement. “Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s,” Schnatter said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, a source familiar with the matter said. After learning about the incident, Laundry Service owner Casey Wasserman moved to terminate the company’s contract with Papa John’s.

In an emailed statement on Wednesday afternoon, Schnatter confirmed the allegations. "News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true," he said. "Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote