View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #5108
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think if you come into the game expecting instant action/combat like Diablo/Path of Exile you are going to be disappointed. The game has a "chill factor" to it-just exploring a planet is fun because you never know what you will find on it. Some areas are breathtaking. There is an underlying story to it (not sure what's changed in NEXT for that). You are given a quest to start the story right when you start a new game. Or you can ignore the story and explore, find a planet to build a base on, gather resources, sell them at the galactic market. Go to a space station and get quests, some of which are combat ones etc. Multiplayer will add new avenues for combat. You aren't given everything you need to survive when you start (and a lot of times you start on a planet that will kill you gradually). Learning how the game works is part of the fun.

I understand why some people find it boring. Watch some videos of someone just starting the game to get a good idea of whether you will like it or not. To me its a game that got a very bad "stink" attached to it from all the hype that did not deliver. Slowly patch by patch they are making the game into a lot of what the hype generated. If you can get it a good price (and don't get it from GOG as for some reason that version doesn't have multiplayer), I certainly think its worth checking it out. Just make sure your computer has enough memory/graphics.

No I get that. I mean, I've spent countless hours on Minecraft building exploring digging, etc. I'm OK with that type of game. To me, NMS had components of games I'd already played (Minecraft and Planet Explorers in particular) but didn't do any of them as well. Planet Explorers actually had some of the features NMS was supposed to have and didn't, well before. Even the exploration component... I mean, NMS planets are the equivalents of a single Minecraft biome, not the multi-biome planets that might have made exploration more interesting. If it had a "dungeon crawler" type of cavern combat it might have held my interest, but instead it was "walk 5 mins to point X to mine Y amount of Z", rinse+repeat. OK, lots of games like that... but compare THAT to what was promised and they deserve everything they got from that release.