View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #33
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

June 2017

For the fourth consecutive year, we need to make room in the showcase for another trophy.

Wantage Town are the 2016/17 champions of the Conference South!

Our form dropped just a little during the spring; part of that was due to my decision to allow some of our youngsters to see some action with the first team. Goalkeeper Tom Knowles was between the posts for the match at Staines Town. Kevin Lewis and Terry Richards both started against Boreham Wood. Even so, we ended the season 15 points clear of our nearest competitor, and our 92 goals scored and +41 goal differential were both best in the league.

A crowd of over 1,100 turned out to Alfredian Park on the last day of the season to honor their champions. I did field a full strength side that day, and I wish we could have thanked the supporters with a big win.

Bishop's Stortford rounded into form during the season's final weeks, snagging a spot in the Promotion Playoff. Once there, they dispatched Ebbsfleet and Sutton United in turn, and they'll be joining us in the Conference Premier.

Tonbridge stayed up by a five-goal margin, barely edging out Hayes & Yeading. Wealdstone and hapless Bath will be going down.

Once again, our promotion means the grounds at Alfredian Park will need to be upgraded to meet the standards of a higher league. The standing room at the grounds will be expanded, bringing their capacity to 4500. So, until March, we'll share the County Ground with Swindon Town.

I received two important bits of news on 25 June. First, the board announced the club will turn professional. Going full time ought to help our players move closer to their fullest potential, and I'm excited about it.

The board also offered me a contract extension that will keep me with the club until June 2019. I didn't hesitate a moment before I accepted it. I like it here, and as long as I feel that way, I'll stick around.

Once again, I'll face the challenge of deciding which of our players will measure up to the demands of a higher league. I might be guilty of excessive sentiment, but I'm inclined to give the great majority of them the opportunity to prove they have what it takes. Our staff believe lads like Jonathan Booth, Dominic Hutchinson, Matty York, and Paul Douglas are decent players for the Conference South. Will their familiarity with my system, and their suitability for the roles I want them to play, allow them to continue to excel against stiffer competition? We'll find out next season.

Two regulars from this year's side won't be returning. Right winger Roy Porter demanded a wage rise that would have paid him nearly twice as much as anyone else in the team. I like Roy, but not for that price, and I wish him well. Max Westlake wasn't willing to discuss a new contract with us. Max had a fine season, and I'm disappointed to see him leave.

I'll be back to sum up the season, stats-wise, soon.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote