View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #168
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
This could be posted in the college football thread instead, but since we are talking about penalties that exist to make the game "safer" here, I'll post here instead.

The intent is fine, but they need to think everything through. Beyond the specific "rougher the passer" penalty during a sack that we've talked about here, I'm thinking of two specific instances from this weekend:

- The North Texas "fake fair catch" is entirely playing on the fact that 1) he appeared to give himself up and 2) defenders are scared of getting penalties. I think they should have blown that play dead. At some point someone will get destroyed when they really called a fair catch and the coverage team didn't hear or see anything.

- Georgia Tech got called for multiple late hits in the first half of their game, one for hitting a guy in bounds as he was going down the sideline. Yeah, maybe he was going to head out of bounds, but if he didn't see that defender coming to tackle him, you can bet he was going to continue to head up field.

I am perfectly fine with rules to make the game safer, but common sense needs to be applied.

The North Texas thing blows my mind. Ive ben searching and cant find it, but I remember a play several years ago where a Miami player was flagged for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike for the exact same thing. Faking a fair catch, IIRC it was stated that it was a safety rule.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote