View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 August 2014

The preseason is complete, and today is the first matchday in the Third Division. Let's get to know the players who will pull on the blue, black, and white shirts of Arminia Bielefeld as the season begins.

The league rules stipulate that I must include at least four German U23 players in my matchday squad. I like this rule, because it encourages me and my rival managers to develop home-grown talent.

The star ratings come to you courtesy of Benjamin Müller, my Assistant Manager.

Goalkeepers

The first thing I noticed when I took over die Blauen was the lack of a solid goalkeeper. I didn't feel comfortable with Schünemann as my starter--at least not yet--and the second best 'keeper is only 16, which makes him too young to play in first team matches.

Marafioti was the best option I could afford to bring in. He's a solid gloveman with no real weaknesses, unless you count his age. Ciro is comfortable with the ball at his feet, so I can use him as a sweeper keeper if I want.

Defenders

Right back Walther is one of the team's best players. He is a do-everything fullback who likes to get forward, but without neglecting his defensive duties. Christoph is also our most accomplished set piece taker, and his long flat throw is a valuable weapon.

Maier will start at left back. He is much the same kind of player as Walther, with a little less positional awareness, but with the same high motor.

van der Ven has just begun training again after suffering a knee injury in our first friendly match, so I've barely had a chance to see him in action. I've never seen a center back with so much pace (19)!! and he is also a commanding aerial presence.

Karow, another big, strong center half, will probably be the Flying Dutchman's partner. I'm using a Ball Playing Defender with this team, hoping to do something more than simply hammer the ball up the pitch and hope our guys get there first. Karow looks like he'll be OK in this role.

Keep an eye out for Noorlander, whom I signed on a free transfer. He's a determined, hard-working young player whose passing ability should make him an outstanding creative defender one day.

Bock is a valuable player, too. He's not only a capable center back; he can also do a job as a holding midfielder. For that matter, so can Noorlander. Sebastian also gets points for his name, which cries out for the addition of the nickname "Johann."

Buck is a solid, versatile squad player. He's paid fairly well for this role, but he's content with it, so he's worth keeping in the team.

Bauer, Ziereis, and Schönwälder are natural midfielders, so we'll meet them there.

Midfielders

Bielefeld turn out to be quite well suited for my favorite formation, a simple 4-4-2 with relatively standard roles.

My best options on the right wing, Vogel or Schönwälder, are very similar players. They are fast and hard-working, and neither is technically sharp. If I want a little less pace and a little more skill, I can call on young Hartmann.

On the other side, I have a choice to make between Kern and Ziereis. Kern expects to be in the first team, while Ziereis is content to be a backup, but I won't let that be the deciding factor. They're close enough that I'll probably give both men playing time and see who wins the spot.

I am very pleased with my options in the middle of the park. Schuster is an all-action midfielder who can play a variety of roles well. Most of the other central midfielders are more defensive-minded players, like Bauer and John, so Max will often be employed higher up the pitch, serving as our main creator. Both Bauer and John are hard-tackling, no-nonsense midfield presences, and I have more of the same in Noorlander and Bock.

Veteran Bade is versatile, but he's set to leave on a free transfer when his contract runs out. I'll use him when I need him, rather than taking playing time away from younger players like Arbogast, Kost, and Hartmann.

Forwards

I've had success with a classic "big man, little man" strike partnership, and I think that will work with die Arminen, too.

Kaufmann is our team's main man and the club's captain. There's nothing flashy about his game; he's a big, strong, aggressive target man who gives nothing away to the league's most formidable defenders. Larger clubs are expressing some interest in buying him, but his contract has two more years to run and he's happy here. In other words, he's not going anywhere.

Even if I lose Markus, I have a younger version of him in Gärtner. Neither of them are the most agile of strikers, but they're both surprisingly fast and athletic.

Meier's composure and concentration could use improvement, but he's the best of the "little men." If he keeps his head in the game so he can take advantage of his pace and skill, he'll be just fine.

Schuster, Vogel, and Kern can also lead the line, so I have a variety of options here, too.

Arminia were relegated last season, and the board are looking for me to lead them back to the second flight. The team to beat will almost certainly be Dortmund II, but I don't think they can be promoted. That makes us the favorite to go up...so the board might not be patient with me unless we start the season on the front foot.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-07-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote