Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #1531
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Official update from the 325th Fighter Wing
TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- Oct.10, 2018 4:50 p.m.
Tyndall Air Force Base took a direct hit from Hurricane Michael. The base has sustained extensive damage. The Ride Out Element will conduct initial damage assessments when it is safe to do so.

Michael was a Category 4 catastrophic hurricane when it made landfall with catastrophic wind speeds. There have been no injuries reported on Tyndall at this time.

Teams will work diligently to recover base in the coming weeks. The storm brought down trees and power lines. It removed roofs from buildings and caused significant structural damage.

The conditions of the runway are unknown at this time.

The base commander ordered a mandatory evacuation of base personnel Monday, Oct. 8. This evacuation order remains in effect until further notice. Evacuated personnel should make plans for an extended time away from the base. Base officials do not have an estimate at this time for when it will be safe to return.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote