View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #6887
Drake
assmaster

You've Got Mail - 5/10

After waiting for a bit to see this Nora Ephron send-up, I can't help but ask myself how Tom Hanks ends up making dreck like this and Saving Private Ryan in the same year. Also, I'm pretty sure this might be the film that constitutes the end of Meg Ryan's relevance curve in American cinema. Less sure about whether this movie is part of the reason or if it was just generalized cute/quirky fatigue.

That said, without Ephron's index of urban romantic quirkiness, we don't ever get Gilmore Girls and oversized cups of $7 coffee, and without Gilmore Girls, we don't get Joss Whedon and the growling girl-power of Buffy & Dollhouse. Overall, I'll accept it as a cultural win, but this is probably the weakest of Ephron's Meg Ryan trilogy.

ETA: This movie also resulted in my wife asking me if she brings an unbridled sense of joy to my life (which the movie posits as the linchpin of true romance). My lack a ready answer may mean that I need to research family attorneys. Anybody know a good one?

Also, the timing doesn't really work because Buffy was on the air for 4 years before Gilmore Girls debuted. I would have sworn they were more contemporaneous...but I dropped a lot of acid in the '90s, so my memory is suspect.

Last edited by Drake : 11-18-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote