View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #1026
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Hiring the interim is always a risky proposition - you have to figure out how much of the success is just the new coach (or getting rid of the terrible old coach) bounce, whether he'll take the team forward with a whole offseason to mould things his way, etc....

With that being said, I think where this Browns team is right now and the fact that Williams almost certainly would have been a HC candidate again a few years ago if not for Bountygate, I can't see the Browns doing any better this offseason.

Assuming you can keep the rest of the staff together including Kitchens, I think it's probably the right move. Continuity for a young QB is pretty important, especially one that has responded once the coaching change was made. Assuming that Cleveland isn't too cheap to make a change if it doesn't work out after a season or two. The other alternative would presumably be take a chance on a young assistant from another team, which feels like it's even more of a trap.

Isn’t Williams maybe the most successful interim head coach in recent history? Normally mid season promotions do REALLY bad. I mean Arians was kind of a different situation, since that team was stacked and the HC was just sick. I don’t see how you could promote Kitchens this rapidly. I think maybe John Harbaugh would be the only hire ever with any less coordinator experience.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote