View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #221
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Some of each. Federer/Murray/Djokovic/Nadal are generally regarded as a golden era by not just their contemporaries but also their forebears; i.e. Sampras, Agassi, etc. Asked what his strategy would be against Federer, Ivan Lendl - who made a record eight consecutive US Open finals - said a number years ago that he would 'pack his bags and go home'.

I also think the generation after them was somewhat weaker than usual, though not as bad as it's been made out to be. A lot of guys who had peaks at times but couldn't put it together for a career, whether it be health issues, consistency, mental fortitude, etc. I'd put Nishikori, Del Potro, Cilic, Dimitrov and some lesser lights in that general category. There's nobody I've seen approach that same transcendent class and take control of the competition. Tennis could be in for a lot of turmoil over the next few years as Murray sure looks like he's done soon, Federer and Nadal have already played longer than they originally planned, and even Djokovic won't last forever. There might be someone else emerging at any time, but it hasn't happened yet.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote