Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #34
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Brexit is an extraordinary example of why you shouldn't let the (mostly) uneducated masses decide fundamental questions of policy... The details escape me (and not going to google it sitting on the train on my phone), but it reminds me of the story of the Greeks living in Persia that sailed across to Greece to try and gain support for an invasion of Persia. They met with a few kings of Sparta etc. who all declined, then went to a democratic city and told an assembled crowd that there would be much treasure to be won and they all enthusiastically joined and sailed off to their deaths.

This guy gets it. Completely self destructive and unnecessary. The damage to the UK economy will last generations. I'm sure Toyota pulling out of a 60 million pound plant in the North East and all the banks scrambling to be the last ones out of London before the light goes off aren't an ominous sign.

There's no good answer at this point. Another referendum isn't it and tears the country apart for 20 years. I suspect there will be a deal cobbled together that is basically the same as on the table now but there will be some softening of the backstop argument that allows everyone to save face, but a no deal is still a realistic outcome. Cameron, Corbyn and Clegg (the Killer C's) have absolutely set the UK back decades and decades. And yes, I do include Clegg in that for enabling Cameron and destroying the Lib Dems at a time where a sane third option in parliament would have brought the country back from the brink.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote