View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 September 2014

Our Head of Youth Development, Pat O'Connell, presented the 2014 class of youth graduates this week. Pat's favorite formation is 4-4-1-1, so the class is short on players who can fill the DM role. Otherwise, we got a good, balanced assortment of players we can use.

My staff think Johnny McEntee is the most promising player in the class. He has the makings of a creative, skilled midfield creator. Some of his mental attributes--anticipation, concentration, and positioning--are alarmingly low, but with careful training, we could have a future star.

I also like Anton Zonneveld, a product of my manager character's Dutch roots. Anton is a tall, athletic left-footed center half. Like McEntee, he'll need to develop the mental side of his game, but he's well on his way to being a productive player.

Andy Sheridan could be our goalkeeper of the future, if he can overcome his lack of height. Unless I can manage to persuade Darcy Bradford to return to Eamonn Deacy Park for another year, I'll need a goalkeeper sooner rather than later. Whoever is between the posts might only be keeping the spot warm for Sheridan's eventual arrival.

Those three are the most promising, but there's more. I like defenders Jimmy Chambers and Ryan Dornan; the latter has a Professional personality already. So does quick winger Alan Curran.

I'm disappointed that several of the lads have Low Determination. Pat O'Connell's personality is Balanced and his Determination score is a respectable 13, so I'm not sure who spit in the well. There are a couple decent players who suffer from this lack of tenacity.

I've never done much with tutoring, but I think I'll give it a try with this class. It has the makings of a very solid group of players, given the right kind of nurturing.

Yesterday, the Youth Candidates played our Under 19s to a 1-1 draw, and after the match, I signed the lot of them to youth contracts. They'll fill out our U19 side for the remainder of the season.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote