View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #196
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I couldn't bring myself to continue to post regular updates, and I really wanted to keep playing so I did. This is going to continue to be a little look inside as we struggle through some seriously mid-table Dodger teams. In the meantime here are some of the more interesting things that have happened in 1990 so far.

Currently it's mid July, and the Dodgers are slumping. They were strong contenders, as in 2nd place, even though they cannot compete with the Astros. The team is in 4th place, 4 games below .500. They've lost Wally Joyner for almost 3 months, and Lee Stevens simply cannot match his production in his place.

Bryn Smith (12-6, 2.28) is having a career year. Frank Viola (12-5, 2.99) gives the team a potent 1-2. Then things fall off. The bullpen is a mess. Even though John Franco is 15-15 in saves with a 2.81 ERA. The team is still throwing Steve Bedrosian out there even with his 1-4 record and 9.37 ERA.

The team is getting a look at 20yr old, #2 pitching prospect (#25 Franchise) Arthur Rhodes (0-2, 5.79) in the rotation out of necessity.

In other recent ML news -

Former Dodger Sid Fernandez tossed his 3rd career no-hitter.

Other No-No's from 1990 -
John Smoltz (MIN) against CAL PERFECT GAME

Roger Clements (SEA) against OAK 2nd career
Randy Johnson (ATL) against PIT
-Johnson also had a 17k, 1-hitter against the Padres

During the All Star game, Mark McGwire went deep in the 4th off of Randy Johnson to give the AL the lead. Johnson then hit Mickey Tettleton of the Yankees, who was up next, and Tettleton charged the mound. Both men were ejected in the ALL STAR GAME!

The Braves made quite possibly the worst trade ever. They sent closer Jim Acker (123 S for the Braves over 6 seasons) , 24yr old prospect Al Leiter (who they had gotten from the Phillies for Herm Winningham), and the #30 prospect in MLB and former #6 overall pick, Juan Gonzalez (.237 with 20 HR's for ATL before his 21st birthday). And who did the Braves get in this blockbuster deal? The Royals utility infielder, 25 yr old, former Cubs 3rd rounder, who signed a minor league deal with the Royals 2 years ago, none other than, Craig Grebeck. I don't know where to go with that. It's insane.

One pretty good blockbuster saw the Mets Darryl Strawberry, 5-time All Star, 2-time Silver Slugger, former WS MVP, who had been struggling and be dealt to the Indians for journeyman 1B, Randy Milligan and top pitching prospect Pedro Astacio. The trade paved the way for Reuben Sierra to take over full time starting duties along with Dykstra and Bonilla.

Former Dodger Pedro Guerrero (.297/9/47), who had signed for the Blue Jays in the offseason was shipped to the Pirates for Torey Luvullo (.185/1/5) straight up. Oof. We'd have taken him.

The White Sox are the best team this year. They are 65-27. The Mets are next at 61-32. Then the Phillies 57-36, Astros (57-38), Angels (57-38), Mariners (56-39) and finally the Yankees (53-38, who lead the AL East.)

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote