View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #18422
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I certainly feel that. On the other hand, that kind of conflict is not particularly relegated to renting, I know lots of homeowners who have also invested years of their lives and tons of energy into never-ending disputes with their neighbors. The irony being that you can pretty easily move away from bad apartment neighbors, but if you buy a house without realizing you've got some flavor of bad neighbor on the block, your likely to be stuck in that fight for years.

This is infinitely true. The number one piece of advice I would have for a first time buyer is spend some serious time in the neighborhood before moving forward with a bid, especially at night. Of course you can still get a bad neighbor moving in and you are screwed, but at least you will get an initial feel for it.

Thankfully in LA house prices only ever explode upwards so we still made a nice profit (and were able to rectify the mistake on our second) but yeah. Don’t fall in love with a beautiful house in a bad neighborhood, at least not if you are a light sleeper
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote