View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'd say that was a much worse call (or non-call in this case) then the Pavelski-Eakin one.

Having said that, I hate this push for replay. In a hand pass scenario, what becomes the cut-off point for negating the play? Is it the next stoppage in play? What if a hand-pass occurs that is missed and then play goes on back and forth for a few minutes without a whistle, with both teams enjoying some shots on goal and then a goal is scored? Does the goal get called back and three or four minutes get put back on the clock? What if the same team that made the hand pass later gets scored against? Can they challenge because the play should have been whistled dead earlier and their earlier hand pass essentially can be used to negate the goal they later gave up?

Do you say that it's a change in possession then? What if Team A makes a hand pass but Team B is able to get possession afterwards but not clear the zone? If that's the case, what if the team clears the zone but quickly turns it over and the team that made the original hand pass then scores? Or they only clear the zone by chipping it out and Team A gets it right back and goes in and scores?

Let's say the rule is a stoppage and Team A makes a hand pass that is missed and the stoppage comes as a result of Team B then icing the puck. Team A gets a face-off deep in Team B's zone and scores shortly afterwards. Can Team B go back and say that they never would have had to ice the puck (and had a face-off deep in their zone without the ability to change lines) if the hand pass had been called before they iced it?

It's this latter scenario that also really leads me to hate the offside call. I've seen goals happen where Team A takes the puck in on a play that looks offside. They don't immediately score but they get a face-off deep in Team B's zone shortly afterwards as a result of the missed offside, either from the goalie covering it up or Team B icing it. Then off the faceoff, prior to Team B ever clearing their zone, Team A scores. Why should that not be reviewable? Team B never actually cleared the zone.

I would say once the opposing team gains possession of the puck, it no longer becomes an issue.

The problem with non call was the Blues never touched the puck and the Sharks scored from a hand pass, so to me it was a simple call to make, play dead when the Sharks player touched it after the hand pass.

Just like the offside review.. they only review it if it was in question and a goal is scored.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote