View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #18601
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Right, "for a 9 goal lead". The apparent problem is with the score at the time, rather than the celebration in a vacuum. I just don't think it matters. I don't see how the world is a better place today if she repressed her joy and nodded solemly after the goal. Some would have chosen to, which is fine too. I just don't think it's morally wrong to celebrare a world cup goal with her teammates, even if the team is really good.

No one is saying it's morally wrong to celebrate. It's about the scope, the social context of the amount of celebrating. That goal wasn't a game winner or likely to matter in the eventual determination of who wins or loses this match. The celebration doesn't match the accomplishment. It's too over the top.

And in doing so, that disrespects the opponent. You make them feel even worse than they do, unnecessarily. And you also debase yourself. You show the kind of person you are, that you selfishly go way beyond normal celebrating at the expense of others. No one is saying Rapinhoe (or anyone on the other late goals) should pull an Emmitt Smith and hand the ball to the ref, soccer style, or like you say, a simple fist bump. But a normal celebration in soccer is usually running with hands raised for a short bit and then accepting hugs from your teammates. That would have been fine here too. Rapinhoe runs and spins around a couple times and then flops to the ground and does wild air kicking, and then she gets mobbed by her teammtes. Sorry, that's just a narcissistic and ridiculously egocentric celebration.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote