View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #103
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
115. Zagar & Evans - In the Year 2525 (1969)

Total Points – 572
Charts – 2
Top 40 – 0
Top 20 – 0
Top 10 – 0
Highest Ranking –48

This song, which warns of the dangers of technology and medical innovations goes so far as to portray the human race as being destroyed by its passive acquiescence to and overdependence on its own overdone technologies. This theme is still prevalent throughout modern entertainment. This strict definition OHW duo hit #1 on the Hot 100 and the UK Singles Charts. They are the only artists to have ever topped both charts and then never had another hit single on either chart for the rest of their career.

This was my guess for #1, which was clearly way way off.

That said, as Breeze, Jon, and others have pointed out, the shifting of what counts as "pop" music, the different charts, the ability to have some follow up success makes a lot of these bands not quite "one hit" wonders in the "I know it when I see it" sense of the word.

These guys hit #1 on both sides of the Atlantic and never sniffed another chart of any type. So, while the song loses some major points as a wonder because it did not have a lot of staying power (and is a pretty shitty song), I stand by this song being the most one-hitty of the one-hit wonders.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote