View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #111
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
85. Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart (1992)

Total Points – 551
Charts – 2
Top 40 – 0
Top 20 – 1
Top 10 – 0
Highest Ranking – 14

Mea Culpa, this one should have been eliminated from the countdown. Despite the fact that 2 of the seeding lists include this song in their countdown, it needs to be removed. In my weeding out process, I somehow missed this one. Cyrus, has had 3 top 40 hits. This song was his only real solo hit, but his duet with Miley, “Ready, Set, Don’t Go”, in 2008 got inside the top 40, peaking at #37, and recently his song with Lil Nas, “Old Town Road” peaked at #1. Thus he should be removed, but given that it would screw up all the previous rankings by 1, I beg your forgiveness, ask that you simply ignore this one and move the numbers of all previous songs up 1 spot….

Old Town Road got me reading up a bit on Billy Ray Cyrus, and I am impressed with him for breaking out of OHW land. Everything about that song and about him at the time SCREAMED One Hit Wonder. But he kept his head down and kept making music and changing with the times and, from what I can tell, turned a OHW song into a career through hard work and force of will. Good for him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote