View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #1435
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think we have to play the long game here similar to reduction in smoking over the past 20-30 years.

The gun-control or anti-gun groups need to organize into one big organization/PAC like the NRA. Use donations from the plenty of gun control billionaires and do campaigns for kids, mental health awareness, weaken the NRA somehow etc.

Over a period of time, hopefully we'll move the dial to more gun control (but not elimination).

So my question is - why aren't these things happening, being driven by the Dems/Liberals? It's probably not due to lack of funds, my guess its a lack of collective will to get this done because many Dems/Libs know there is too strong of a 2A base in their current constituencies? So its a long game with the Millennials and Gen Z but requires constant positive reinforcement.

I think it’s incorect to say these things aren’t happening. Everytown and Moms Demand Action have had their numbers swell in recent years. They have had success in getting some gun safety laws enacted on a state level. The NRA has been hit with scandals, lack of funding, and closed down NRATV in recent years.

On the national level, nothing is going anywhere because Republicans control the Senate (and Presidency) and have no interest in passing bills with anything resembling gun control because their constituents don’t believe in compromising an iota on this.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote